All games crashing

Apr 20, 2018
Hi. I have just installed my new gtx 1050. Everything seemed to be fine until I loaded up my games where they all seemed to crash on the loading screen. I do not have a six pin connector so had to use a 2x molex to 6 pin adapter. My psu is 500w and I was wondering if there was an insufficient amount of power getting to one of my components.

Specs:
Amd Athlon x4 880k
Gtx 1050 2gb
16gb of ram
1tb hard drive
500w psu (molex and sata cables all on one set of wires)
Please help.
Do I need to upgrade my psu?

Solution
You have what you think is a 500W PSU with no PCIe plugs? That's not a 500W PSU. I used to have a 500W PCIe 10+ years ago with two 6pin PCIe plugs. TWO! I don't know what you have but I can promise you it's not a 500W PSU. It might say "Atx 500b" on the side, but it's not a 500W PSU. (some manufacturers "trick" people by listing a number on the side, but that's not it's output.)

My standard advice is to never use adapters to power a GPU. Doing so forces a PSU to do something it wasn't intended to do. And forcing a PSU to power something it wasn't designed to do is a super bad idea. Without having any other details and only going on the fact you don't have the plugs needed to do what you want, I really suggest buying a new...

ritvarsdavis

Notable
Sep 11, 2017
If it's the PSU I found online, it's not a good one at the slightest. A generic brand made in China. I checked the wattage and it actually gives 264W on +12V rail. Overall it's a poor quality unit that should be replaced. A Corsair CX450M, SeaSonic S12II-430, SeaSonic M12II-520 Evo would be better choices.

4745454b

Titan
You have what you think is a 500W PSU with no PCIe plugs? That's not a 500W PSU. I used to have a 500W PCIe 10+ years ago with two 6pin PCIe plugs. TWO! I don't know what you have but I can promise you it's not a 500W PSU. It might say "Atx 500b" on the side, but it's not a 500W PSU. (some manufacturers "trick" people by listing a number on the side, but that's not it's output.)

My standard advice is to never use adapters to power a GPU. Doing so forces a PSU to do something it wasn't intended to do. And forcing a PSU to power something it wasn't designed to do is a super bad idea. Without having any other details and only going on the fact you don't have the plugs needed to do what you want, I really suggest buying a new PSU. I can't promise it will fix your issue, but it will prevent the fire/explosion that it coming your way if you keep using adapters.

Solution
Apr 20, 2018

OK thank you very much. I will be upgrading my psu.

Apr 20, 2018

COULD it also be another component like the hard drive that is causing the crashes on these games

4745454b

Titan
If it happens at load its either a power or software/driver issue. Dying drive would cause other issues at other times. Power is the first thing I would fix seeing as it needs to be replaced anyways.

You did say new card, did you load drivers? Remove old drivers? You can try fixing that seeing as it won't cost you anything. But I'd still replace the garbage PSU.

Apr 20, 2018

OK thank you. Yes I have installed the new drivers and I have ordered a Corsair VS650. Thank you for your help

Apr 20, 2018

HI GUYS. I managed to install my new Corsair VS 650 psu and plug everything in. At first it booted and everything was fine but I went to try play fortnite and rainbow six segue where I found that it was stuttering a lot to the point that it took 10 mins to load into the main menu. My screen is also not on full screen on my moniter. Is there something wrong with my graphics card?

4745454b

Titan
I'm having to fix your posts alot. If you are going to quote, please put your reply in the same message. You seem to quote, and then put one or more replies in other posts which makes the thread hard to read.

As for your gaming issues I'd assume it to be the APU you are using.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4521&game=Fortnite

They say the minimum CPU you should have is the Ph II x4 805. I'm not sure where exactly your APU sits compared to this CPU, but it's probably a bit weaker if you are having issues. If you've maxed out all your details, trying dialing CPU game settings down. Here is a link to help with that.

https://www.quora.com/When-PC-gaming-what-graphic-settings-affect-the-CPU-or-GPU-more

You also talked about issues during loading, so perhaps you aren't getting good speed from your drive. What drive are you using? Defrag maybe?