[SOLVED] All games I play have a "ghosting" problem where the visuals lag behind players

Chad1123

Distinguished
May 31, 2012
So, for example when I see a player peek fast in CSGO from around the corner he will have basically a shadow figure following up to his character model. To me, it seems like it might be the problem of having only a 60 hz refresh rate monitor, but most people say it doesn't make a noticeable difference. I've had this problem in every game i've played for a long time. I have even upgraded every part in my computer since first having the problem and it hasn't gone away. I have a feeling its my monitor but maybe I have some settings messed up somewhere? Any help is greatly appreciated! I'll be adding a link of a video with an example as soon as it's done uploading. Thanks!

Heres the link: https://streamable.com/mlzsi Watch the blue hexagon.

The visual lag isn't all that noticeable or bad in this clip but on my screen it is probably five times worse, I don't know why recording this and uploading it reduced the effect, also i'm not sure how it's going to render for viewers with different monitors. (Not very knowledgeable in this area)

Last edited:
Solution
If it's related to your monitor, then anyone viewing the video won't be able to see the problem unless you were to actually take a video of the screen itself using a camera.

And it does sound to me like it would be monitor-related. It may be what's known as "inverse ghosting" or "overshoot". There is typically an "overdrive" setting that can be found in the menus of gaming monitors, which if set too high can potentially produce symptoms like that. The screen uses overdrive to improve pixel response times and reduce ghosting, but if it applies too much overdrive, the pixels can temporarily change to a darker or lighter color than intended, which might be what you are seeing. If your screen has such a setting, you might try lowering...
If it's related to your monitor, then anyone viewing the video won't be able to see the problem unless you were to actually take a video of the screen itself using a camera.

And it does sound to me like it would be monitor-related. It may be what's known as "inverse ghosting" or "overshoot". There is typically an "overdrive" setting that can be found in the menus of gaming monitors, which if set too high can potentially produce symptoms like that. The screen uses overdrive to improve pixel response times and reduce ghosting, but if it applies too much overdrive, the pixels can temporarily change to a darker or lighter color than intended, which might be what you are seeing. If your screen has such a setting, you might try lowering it (From fastest to fast, for example) and see if that helps. More overdrive is not always better.

It would help to know what monitor and other hardware you are using though.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution