[SOLVED] All games installed on HDD keep freezing/stutterng ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2022
Hi guys

All the games that I install to my HDD keep freezing/stuttering, audio loops whenever I play them. This ranges from old games to new games. Examples of games include Among Us (Happened once), Rage, Edge of Eternity, and Far Cry 4. SSD games seem to be fine.
I'm not too sure if it's a hardware failure but I recently got my HDD (28/11/2021) and I also got my SSD sometime last year. I have tried doing a S.M.A.R.T (Health: good), Defragmenting and monitored using CrystalInfo (Health: Good)
My PC Specs:
  • MSI B350 PC Mate Motherboard
  • Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor
  • Antec 500W 80+ High-Performance PSU
  • 32 GB RAM ( 4 * 8GB)
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
  • Western Digital WDS240G2G0B Green 240GB M.2 2280 SATA3 Solid State Drive (Windows Installation)
  • Windows 10.0.19043 Build 19043
  • WD Blue 4TB Desktop WD40EZAZ4TB HDD (Gaming Hard Drive)
  • WD Blue 4TB Desktop WD40EZAZ4TB HDD (Storage Hard Drive) (Not really using)
  • WD Blue 1TB WD10EZEX HDD (Ubuntu Installation)
if any more information is needed please let me know
Please assist

Looking at the UserBenchMark results, the WD Blue 4TB is performing way below expectations. If thats your games drive then it's probably the cause of your stuttering. The other WD Blue 4TB storage drive seams to be ok.
To test something, you could disconnect the storage and linux drives and re-run.
Maybe also the HDD lead is a bit dodgy or connected to a SATA 2 interface ?

The notion that a simple game like Among Us needs to run on an SSD for best performance is laughable at best. Rage and Far Cry 4 were also developed in a time where hard drives were still the majority storage device. So I would argue here that putting those games on a hard drive should not be a problem. Speaking from observation as well, storage has rarely been a major factor in in-game performance. It only affects initial loading times.

I would treat the games HDD as suspect as well. Maybe throw the games on the other drive and see how they perform.

Mar 9, 2022
Looking at the UserBenchMark results, the WD Blue 4TB is performing way below expectations. If thats your games drive then it's probably the cause of your stuttering. The other WD Blue 4TB storage drive seams to be ok.
To test something, you could disconnect the storage and linux drives and re-run.
Maybe also the HDD lead is a bit dodgy or connected to a SATA 2 interface ?

I guess there's something wrong with the Drive which honestly doesn't make any sense. I gave it a test on it's own and this is the result https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51171758

I think the first person was right when he said I should get an SSD, and I think from your setup (Your Benchmark) you have 2 x 1TB SSD, so I'm thinking that I'll need to ditch my current setup all together.

Mar 9, 2022
The notion that a simple game like Among Us needs to run on an SSD for best performance is laughable at best. Rage and Far Cry 4 were also developed in a time where hard drives were still the majority storage device. So I would argue here that putting those games on a hard drive should not be a problem. Speaking from observation as well, storage has rarely been a major factor in in-game performance. It only affects initial loading times.

I would treat the games HDD as suspect as well. Maybe throw the games on the other drive and see how they perform.

Agreed, so with Among Us it actually performed fine, just had one random occurrence where it froze like all other games but generally, it's fine. As for your suggestion to move them to the other HDD, I actually formatted my Ubuntu drive (1TB) and that plays better on there, so I think the earlier suggestion to get onto SSD would probably be the best suggestion for the moment, and I guess the HDD has some weird issue with it

Status
Not open for further replies.