Distinguished
Jul 20, 2012
Specs:
Asus VII Ranger
i7 4790k @ 4.4 Ghz (liquid cooled)
Sapphire R9 290x Tri x
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1666Mhz
EVGA 850w Gold Rated PSU

Built this rig about 6 months ago and everything has been fine, all games can be maxed out with 60+ fps and the PC doesn't even sweat.

About 2 weeks ago some games started lagging and now all my games are barely running at 60 fps with all settings turned down.

I've scanned for viruses, malware, adware etc and my system is running clean.

All my drivers are up to date, chipset, bios, etc.

Any clue why my GFX card can't handle the load anymore?

Thanks

Solution

Yeah if all your other games are running fine then I would say your hardware is just fine. Maybe doing a re-install of Titanfall will help.
The Trixx report shows the card as running at PCI-E x16 but at a 1.1 instead of 3.0 I don't think that's the cause of your problem and it may be because you Alt-Tabbed out of the game, causing the card to revert to its power saving idle state.

Try also: Power down and wait a minuet or so then boot up normally, open Task Manager and see if anything is taking up a lot of memory or CPU time.
Also check the idle GPU usage, something is holding the system up and there's no such thing as perfect AV/Malware protection, maybe something has slipped in under the radar.

ebmurray21

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2012

I ran the game again in a window with trixx open and PCI-E x16 goes back to 3.0.
Also, i did a fresh boot and the cpu load is at 0% and memory is only at 4%

GPU idle usage is 0% at 37C.

I'm going to try and roll back the driver and see if that might be the problem.

The images you provided earlier don't actually show usage. I recommend CPUz, GPUz, windows task manager (performance tab). You can also use MSI afterburner/riva tuner in conjunction with HWinfo to display all these stats on your screen while in game. This will let you take a screen shot while in game if you do not have a second monitor to display all the stats on.

ebmurray21

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2012

http://www.mediafire.com/view/2cun89rxa2cravf/Untitled.png hope this is better

Well your GPU usage is pegged at 100% for a while there but then it drops off and your core clock drops also. Your CPU usage is extremely low, was this image taking while gaming? If so then there is something going on there.

We need to figure out why your GPU is throttling, the core clock dips and usage takes a dive. Does your game play smoothly for a little bit and then it starts to stutter? Looking at the graphs I would imagine that is what is happening. Your temps look fine so I don't think it's related to temps. Do you have some kind of power saving software running in the background that might be kicking in when you don't want it to?

ebmurray21

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2012
The game doesn't seem to stutter at all. Basically it feels like the card can't handle it, as if the shaders, textures, etc are too high. In the past everything would run fine, which is why this make no sense.

I have no power saving programmes running, and I went through the bios to check as well.

I also highly doubt it's the PSU, an EVGA 850w gold certified should have no problem with efficiency.

disturbed force

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
I'm not saying it would have a problem with efficiency but rather it might be going bad, it was just a thought because temps and everything else looks good. Might be a software issue, or maybe vrm temps?

Just seems weird, I run cf tri-x 290x's and never had a problem with them.

ebmurray21

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2012
I doubt my PSU is going bad, this entire build is only about 6 months old and everything was brand new.

Anyway, i just ran some benchmarks on 3dmark. Not only am i getting very high frame rates, they are steady. I check a few other games and they seem to be fine, I think the problem lies in titanfall itself.

So, i realised while i was away on holiday, titanfall updated, i can't find any release notes on the update, but that must be it. I'll try to find out some more info on the update and then post back with any results. Thanks everyone for your help so far.

Yeah if all your other games are running fine then I would say your hardware is just fine. Maybe doing a re-install of Titanfall will help.

Solution

ebmurray21

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2012