[SOLVED] All games low fps, long load times, stuttering

Mar 7, 2019
About two weeks ago I realized all my currently installed games now have low fps, stuttering (audio and video), and long load times ( current games
are Dirt 4, Grid Autosport, and Project Cars 2). All these games have previously worked flawlessly on this laptop the months or years I have owned them.

I have updated all drivers (used DDU drive remover when possible, tried both nvidia reference driver and dell nvidia driver), deleted xbox app, reset bios, updated bios, tried a clean boot, disabling sound card, nothing works. Tried rolling back windows updates to mid february. The only thing I have not done yet is reinstall windows. Games are set to use the gtx 1050 in nvidia control panel.
Nothing is draining resources in task manager, the nvidia card seems under utilized if anything.
Thanks for reading.

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: XPS 15 9560
BIOS: 1.12.1 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Video Card : Intel HD Graphics 630, Geforce GTX 1050
Sound Card : Realtek

Solution
Hmm you've tried almost everything. Actually i applaud you for the effort so far.

I don't see there in your post if you've monitored temps?

Install HWinfo64 and monitor temps at idle usage and while doing something to push cpu usage. https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Perhaps run Msi Afterburner osd stats on screen while playing games to get an idea whats going on. Enable stats like cpu/gpu usages, frequencies, temps and memory usage.

How much space is left on your main drive where windows is installed?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm you've tried almost everything. Actually i applaud you for the effort so far.

I don't see there in your post if you've monitored temps?

Install HWinfo64 and monitor temps at idle usage and while doing something to push cpu usage. https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Perhaps run Msi Afterburner osd stats on screen while playing games to get an idea whats going on. Enable stats like cpu/gpu usages, frequencies, temps and memory usage.

How much space is left on your main drive where windows is installed?

Solution
Monitoring temps will not tell you much since they will always be highish in laptops,what you should monitor is CPU clocks because the system will downclock the CPU to prevent temps from getting too high.
You should also monitor both GPU and iGPU usage just to make sure that you are not gaming on the integrated.
Another thing and the most obvious really would be a problem with the hdd, that you don't list the make of, it could have gotten knocked off slightly from the connection and only barely working,if it looses connection there are long waiting times until windows finds it again.

Mar 7, 2019
Thanks for the responses. I got MSI afterburner, GPU temp maxed out at 66 while playing grid autosport. GPU memory usage ranged from 75 - 1420. CPU clock never changed. GPU core clock ranged from 139-1645. GPU memory clock ranged from 405-3504. My hard drive is an SSD with 331 GB available.