[SOLVED] All games micro stuttering for some reason!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Hi, hoping someone here could help me out. I've been running into a lot of micro stuttering. I tried doing a fresh install of windows but still getting them.

My Specs:
GTX 1080 FTW
ryzen 7 2700x
aorus motherboard x470
2x8 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 PSU
Samsung 256 GB 860 Pro
3GB 7200rpm Samsung HDD

I run my games off both my sdd and hdd and all still have the stuttering so dont think its to do with them?
also just in case ive two standard Samsung monitors at 60hz if that is needed info or not.

only built the pc just over a month ago and it seemed to have been running fine for a little bit and then all of sudden i was getting the stutters so im not overly sure what it could be.

Solution
What build version of Windows 10 did you use to do the clean install?

When you did the "clean" install of the graphics drivers, did you use the Nvidia installer to scrub the existing driver framework or did you use the DDU?

What EXACTLY do you mean by "fresh install" of Windows? A lot of people think that reinstalling to an existing partition that has been formatted, or performing a system restore, or a refresh or just reinstalling over the top of an existing Windows installation is a "fresh" or "clean" install, but it's actually not. A clean install involves booting from the installer media, using the latest build version created by running the Windows media creation tool, and then choosing the "Custom" option after which you must...

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Using HDMI cables so might have to try that, thanks.

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

I mean in games every so often (within every 30secs-1min) the game will freeze for just under 1 second like a little jigger but its very noticeable.

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah all drivers are up to date. And Ill go test them now in afterburner

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Okay so the temps of my cpu when under 100% load was 87°C and my GPU while just playing games was sitting at around 70°C. im not too sure if I went about this the right way or not.

CPU seems hot, what's the actual clockspeed looking like? I'm concerned that it may be reaching throttle temp, slowing down, cooling down, speeding up again and then repeat. Each slow down cycle might create a stutter.

It would be worth using the AMD ryzen software to measure CPU temps, as other software can report poorly.

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Not sure if I did this right. heres a screen shot of what the AMD app looked like while playing a game https://gyazo.com/af35c83c02669bbf2a41a6cf4871dc00

So no sign of throttling under a stress test. There is an odd temp offset that ryzen master accounts for and others may not, so that all seems to be in order.

Right now I've no idea. My next steps would be:
To try an older GPU driver. One from maybe Oct/Nov and had a good long time before being replaced (some of them only last for a few days).
Check that mobo drivers are up-to-date, and to try and figure out which you initially had installed.
Check that there is no other software running alongside the game using resources.

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Okay ill do all them steps now and come back when finished.

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Hi sorry for getting back so late, so I tried all the suggestions and still getting the stuttering. any more ideas?

Do you have the memory XMP profile enabled in the BIOS?

Do you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed?

Have you installed ALL of the latest drivers from the motherboard product page for chipset, secondary storage controllers, audio and network adapters? If you are relying on Windows update and Microsoft for drivers then that can be it's own problem in some cases unless it is the only option available for the operating system version and hardware. Always install the drivers from the motherboard manufacturers product support page OR in some cases like with Intel or AMD chipset drivers, from their product support page instead.

Do you have system restore enabled? If so, turn it off for all drives. I've seen system restore cause similar issues on a number of systems and since it practically never works correctly anyhow it's almost pointless to ever have it enabled anyhow. Using something like Macrium reflect or Acronis true image to periodically create a backup image is a much better way to protect against a future failure than hoping system restore will work when you need it to. Plus, those can be run on a one time, or periodic basis, and I recommend that you DO do it that way so that nothing is trying to continuously update a system image because that can suck up a lot of system resources including CPU cycle, memory and drive resources.

Probably worth deleting any existing restore points if you do go with another solution as system restore can use quite a lot of space for restoration images.

And, if you have not done so already, it's probably worth at least TRYING a clean install of the GPU card drivers using the DDU.

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Played a few games with it out on the other monitor to see if anything popped up but nothing out of the norm :/

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

I actually do not... Changed it to the correct speed, thanks.

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Just enabled it so the Ram is running at the correct speed now so that might fix it?
Yeah I've installed the most recent bios and drivers installed.
I disabled system restore so ill see if that does anything, thanks.
Yeah all ready tried a clean install of the GPU drivers which didnt fix it.

Thanks hopefully turning XMP and/or turning off system restore will fix it. ill report back with results.

bob41

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Unfortunately still getting the random stutter. any other ideas?

What build version of Windows 10 did you use to do the clean install?

When you did the "clean" install of the graphics drivers, did you use the Nvidia installer to scrub the existing driver framework or did you use the DDU?

What EXACTLY do you mean by "fresh install" of Windows? A lot of people think that reinstalling to an existing partition that has been formatted, or performing a system restore, or a refresh or just reinstalling over the top of an existing Windows installation is a "fresh" or "clean" install, but it's actually not. A clean install involves booting from the installer media, using the latest build version created by running the Windows media creation tool, and then choosing the "Custom" option after which you must delete ALL existing partitions on the drive and install to the unallocated, unformatted drive space by clicking on the unallocated space shown on the screen where it asks where you want to install Windows, and then clicking "Next". Then you let Windows do it's thing. It will create all necessary partitions including the C:, boot and EFI partitions.

If you have a full UEFI motherboard it's also a good idea, BEFORE beginning the installation, to go into the bios and turn OFF "CSM" (Compatibility support module) and in the secure boot settings change the OS type from "other" to "Windows 8/10" or to enable the UEFI setting so that Windows will create a GPT partition configuration rather than an older MBR style partition. In some cases if you do that it might be necessary to use the boot override in the bios in order to begin the installation process from a USB device as some will not be fully UEFI compatible and won't boot from USB with CSM disabled.

If that IS how you installed, then I just spent five minutes typing for nothing, but that's ok, at least we'll know we can forget about that aspect.

Plus, it's probably NOT the issue, it's just worth relating that information because aside from your current dilemma it's useful to know and most people don't.

It's also important that you disconnect secondary drives prior to beginning the installation process or you can end up with potentially problematic partitions required for the boot process on multiple drives. Usually not, but it happens. We see it often enough to be worth mentioning. Disconnecting all but the OS drive and seeing if it still boots will tell you all you need to know about whether or not that is a problem on your system.

Aside from a bad driver or a bad graphics card, I'm not sure there's a lot left to point the finger at either.

Solution
Jun 26, 2019
Micro stuttering fix / solved
Hi,
If u have got microstuttering when you got high fps, Try to switch these settings on bios.
Primary display : PEG (AUTO, PCIE, PEG)
PCI SPEED: GEN 3 (AUTO, GEN 1 GEN 2 GEN 3) If u have brand new graphics card like rtx2070 or rtx2080 put GEN 3
If u have 1060 + u can put auto or GEN 2 and older graphics u should put GEN 1.

If u have done everything else and still have microstutterin with new pc or good ship, try to do these 2 options.

Status
Not open for further replies.