[SOLVED] All games stuttering. Hardware problem?

mort76

Honorable
Jun 25, 2018
Hello all.

So a couple months back I posted on the forum stating how all games on my PC begun to lag and had major fps drops. I was advised to upgrade my cpu and ram. So I did, but to no avail. My games still lag and stutter, with fps barely hitting the 60 mark and dropping continuously. All of them, from games 10 years old to the latest.

I've done everything when it comes to software. Upgraded/changed drivers, reisntalled windows (also trying 7 and 8), updated bios software, changed storage etc. This did not make even a modicum of difference.

Now after upgrading my components my games still lag and stutter. The only components I upgraded are my cpu and ram.

I am left to believe that it has to be some hardware issue. Apart from game lags my PC also has trouble booting. I have to press and hold the button multiple times for it to start. Often it gives a single beeping sound, and reboots atleast once on startup.

But there are no reboots when my PC has loaded windows and is running. It works fine then, except for games. So not sure if its my PSU undervolting my PC or not.

Though at one point it completely refused to boot, giving three beeps and switching off (doesn't happen anymore which is strange
) .

At this point I am very confused as to what the issue is. Which part/s is the main issue? I would really appreciate help, I have no idea what to do.

Specs:
GTX 970
I7 3770
16GB DDR3
550w Corsair PSU
120gb SSD
500gb HDD
Intel DQ77CP Motherboard

Last edited:
Solution
well, but still, that system as poor as it looks, still shoulnt struggle that much with 10year old games...

most of today lags comes from drivers.
drivers talks to hardware, one poorly written driver can affect whole system as it makes unnecesary stalls, and other more important drivers (like gpu/soundcard) just waits there doing nothing (lag) so they need preferably near to zero system latencies.
it can also be combination of mixing latest greatest windows with old drivers which werent written for your current windows build
misconfigured bios can also create lagged system

run latencymon in background while running some games, if u see lag in game, u can stop recording with it and upload here your result

scroll down to system...

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Yes, hardware problem. Crappy CPU, old GPU, probably running the game on your hard drive which can cause stuttering, motherboard is probably bad. To be honest, your PSU is the highest quality part of the system.

well, but still, that system as poor as it looks, still shoulnt struggle that much with 10year old games...

most of today lags comes from drivers.
drivers talks to hardware, one poorly written driver can affect whole system as it makes unnecesary stalls, and other more important drivers (like gpu/soundcard) just waits there doing nothing (lag) so they need preferably near to zero system latencies.
it can also be combination of mixing latest greatest windows with old drivers which werent written for your current windows build
misconfigured bios can also create lagged system

run latencymon in background while running some games, if u see lag in game, u can stop recording with it and upload here your result

scroll down to system monitoring tools
https://resplendence.com/downloads

Solution
Dec 20, 2020
hi what kind of specs your monitor have? had the same problem. the stuttering happened to me when i got a new gaming monitor. old games from 2000-2013 were the worst to stutter. i tried everything on the internet no luck at all.
but then i thought i change around the Hz on my monitor. and it worked. i changed the 144hz to 60 and it helped. problem solved. turned out my old Geforce gtx660 couldnt handle higher Hz on nowadays monitors. Or older games just do not match very good with more modern monitors.
Turn down the Hz and try for yourself. good luck

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
hi what kind of specs your monitor have? had the same problem. the stuttering happened to me when i got a new gaming monitor. old games from 2000-2013 were the worst to stutter. i tried everything on the internet no luck at all.
but then i thought i change around the Hz on my monitor. and it worked. i changed the 144hz to 60 and it helped. problem solved. turned out my old Geforce gtx660 couldnt handle higher Hz on nowadays monitors. Or older games just do not match very good with more modern monitors.
Turn down the Hz and try for yourself. good luck
Definitely DO NOT do this, stutters have nothing to do with your monitor. That's a crappy old GPU. You can't game at over 30fps in most games with a 660 these days, so why even bother buying a high rr monitor?

Dec 20, 2020
Definitely DO NOT do this, stutters have nothing to do with your monitor. That's a crappy old GPU. You can't game at over 30fps in most games with a 660 these days, so why even bother buying a high rr monitor?

I already said my gpu is crappy. And yes its bottlenecking my monitor which is too much for it. And i was talking about older games not nowadays.
I was trying too explain that a graka and a monitor has to be matched together. If not it causes stuttering and tearing, thats why vsync,freesync and gsync was invented.

TRENDING THREADS