Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2019
Alright so I own a Laptop (Acer Aspire 5; HDD=1 tb) that runs an Nvidia GeForce mx150 (2 gb) and an intel core i5. I know it's not exactly the most powerful pc on the market, but until a week ago it used to run newer games (Rainbow Six: Siege ; Sekiro ; Farcry 5) at around 60-70 fps on medium graphics quality, and older games (Dark Souls ; CS:GO) at around 110 fps.
BUT a couple of days ago I started Rainbow Six Siege and noticed that the game was lagging a lot (5-20 fps). I've had this problem in the past but fixed it by disabling the "full screen optimization" option from the .exe game's file, but now this doesn't seem to work, and every game on my pc lags, even very old games that are not supposed to lag on this gpu (ex: Dark Souls).
I checked my Nvidia control panel and all the gpu settings are the same as they were before, and all my games are running on my dedicated gpu and NOT on the integrated graphic card, but they still horrendously lag even on low resolution and quality.
I also tried lowering my computer's screen resolution and upgrading my gpu drivers from the official Nvidia website, and I upgraded my system to the latest version (I also checked if I had memory issues, but I currently have 500 gb of free space. I also scanned my pc looking for viruses, but the computer is totally clean).
Nothing seems to work and I'm really desperate for help, since gaming is my passion and I can't live without it.
If anyone can, PLEASE help me, I'd be very grateful!

Solution
You or someone whom may have borrowed the laptop didn't by chance switch the power plan to power saving mode did they?

I would also check for things like temp or malware problems. If you've had it a while, it could need a cleaning too, as dust can eventually clog the processor heatsinks.

Of course it also goes without saying that any drops, even from not very high, can also affect laptops.
You or someone whom may have borrowed the laptop didn't by chance switch the power plan to power saving mode did they?

I would also check for things like temp or malware problems. If you've had it a while, it could need a cleaning too, as dust can eventually clog the processor heatsinks.

Of course it also goes without saying that any drops, even from not very high, can also affect laptops.

Solution
Dec 4, 2019

I’ve never lend the pc to anyone, but I already tried switching to “high performance “, sadly with no results.
I’ve also checked for viruses with 3 different antiviruses, I executed a scan with defraggler and the disk state was good. Apparently there are no hardware issues, so I’m planning on going to a pc assistance service, since the issue can only be hardware related at this point. Thank you for your reply, I much appreciated!

Dec 4, 2019
[UPDATE] I don’t know if this is related to the gpu not working, but yesterday (while I was trying to fix the problem and starting some games to see if I secceded), I noticed that my gpu fan wasn’t spinning, even though it used to spin back when the gpu worked properly.
What do you think?

Dec 4, 2019
[UPDATE] I don’t know if this is related to the gpu not working, but yesterday (while I was trying to fix the problem and starting some games to see if I secceded), I noticed that my gpu fan wasn’t spinning, even though it used to spin when it

If you've got no fans spinning at all on the GPU, you shouldn't be running it. I had one fan of a dual fan non reference 7970 go out on me. I sourced an exact factory dual fan assembly with wires and plugs for $12 on eBay brand new. That was a very popular model GPU though, might be harder to find if yours isn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.