All hard drives not found

capatua

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hello,
Please my dell optiplex GX270 is unable to detect all the drives in the system except floppy. i have change all the IDE cables but still can someone help me? Also is their any IC on the motherboard which detect this?

Old or new drives? If an old drive is failing, your system may not detect it. But first try a different power supply lead; most have extra 4 pin leads you can switch out. If it's a new drive, you may have to set the jumper (for ide only) to the slave setting when using more than one drive. Old or new drives will make a clicking noise (when failing) if your system is trying to access the drive. Or the screen will freeze up. I use maxblast 5 to detect and prep any new drive. It may ask you which windows version you're using to max out the partition size, then if you want it as a secondary or primary (boot) drive. This is a free download, or comes on the cd of newer maxtor or seagate retail boxed drives. Your board should be able to detect up to 2 drives per ide cable when both are hooked up to different optical or hardrives. If not, try a newer cable with the blue 80 pin connection, which should work on old or newer drives.