Question All in 1 HDD Docking Station Not Seen

Alikiwi

Honorable
May 6, 2017
I've read far and wide about this not being seen by Windows explorer, with no clear answer given. What I have found is that it is seen in device manager, but is not seen in Windows explorer, preventing me from copying my current full HDD to this new 2TB HDD.

The docking station is simply called 'All in 1 HDD Docking." The new HDD is a Seagate Barracuda 2TB. Unfortunately the pc which I built 4 years ago does not have a second slot for another HDD (unlike my old one), so I was forced to buy the Docking Station to copy it over. Any ideas on how to get Windows Explorer to see the HDD via the usb cable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you plug it into power? There is a power jack on the dock but it's not always supplied with a power supply because that may not be needed for flash cards and even some 2.5" drives, while 3.5" drives almost always need 12v.

Alikiwi

Honorable
May 6, 2017
Given the blue light is on, yes I switched on the power. Disk management seems to see it as Disk 2 1863.02 GB "unallocated." Seems a bit odd that it shows the same size for Disk 0 the existing HHD. Disk 1 listed as "removable F" no media.
What I also find odd is the main disk 0 has 100MB NTFS healthy (system active primary partition), followed by the main 930.90 GB NTFS healthy (boot, page file, crash dump, Primary partition), then a 521 MB (recovery partition), then the odd part also 931.5 GB unallocated!

Hope that makes sense.

Then you'll probably want to create a 931.5GB partition on the unallocated space of your system drive Disk 0 first, simply right-click the unallocated area to select that option.

After that, clicking anywhere on Disk 2 will probably prompt you to initialize the disk in MBR or GPT, after which you could create a partition on it with right-click the same way.

If you instead wish to extend the volume of your C drive so that's a single 2TB partition (instead of two 1TB partitions), then either a third party partitioning tool could do that, or disk management can itself if you are OK with deleting the recovery partition first (as disk management can only extend a partition to adjacent unallocated space)

The recovery partition obviously isn't useful if it was created by installing a previous build of Windows 10 and you have updated since, but it could be useful if it was created by the system OEM builder instead as it would allow you to restore things back to how they were out-of-the-box

Alikiwi

Honorable
May 6, 2017
But I don't want to do anything with the old HDD. I want to be able to copy it to the new drive that as I said, isn't being recognised.