Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie69

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
I have a all in 1 hdd docking station I bought at an estate sale in the box new. I'm presently using my Acer Aspire E 300. The docking station doesn't show up anywhere when I plug it into the usb port. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling all three usb ports by going into device manager universal serial buss controllers &, updating drivers. I even downloaded a all in 1 dock station driver but it turned out to be adware that luckily windows caught. My os is windows 10 home. I used one of the hdd's I want to look at as an external hard drive not long ago before the case went bad. I have some other old hard drives I want to look at before I get rid of them. Are there any other possible solutions out there before I buy another kind of docking station? Any input on this would be wonderful, thank you in advance.

Jackie69

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
I tried it with a hp pavilion a little while ago, in file explorer it shows up as a F Drive but when I click to open it or expand it comes up insert disc. Went into device manager and can't do anything there either. Still not allowing me to view files. I didn't think it needed a driver but when all else fails, update driver for the heck of it right. Anymore ideas hopefully?

What is the model number and manufacturer of the dock? How big is the disk you are connecting to it?

If the disk is over 2tb it may not work on some older docks. I ran into this issue when 3tb disks were still kinda new. Tried plugging in my shiney new 3tb drive and couldn't get it to recognize in my old HDD dock. Had to get a new HDD enclosure.

Jackie69

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
What is the model number and manufacturer of the dock? How big is the disk you are connecting to it?

If the disk is over 2tb it may not work on some older docks. I ran into this issue when 3tb disks were still kinda new. Tried plugging in my shiney new 3tb drive and couldn't get it to recognize in my old HDD dock. Had to get a new HDD enclosure.
2 TB HDD for desktop

Jackie69

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017

The HDD is 2 TB for desktop

The power brick is an external power supply. It's usually a large (usually black) plastic brick that sits between the wall and the device being powered. Same as a wall wart in function just a different form.

Is this what you have?
https://www.amazon.ca/Nietoto-Docking-Station-One-button-IDESATA/dp/B00PL551FI

In the photo for that device the power brick would be the item in the bottom left of the 4th image.

I suspect that either the drive or station is bad. You mentioned that you had some other drives you wanted to check out? Have any of those worked? If so the station is probably fine and your drive may have gone bad. If none of those other drives have worked then probably that station wasn't good.

The drives you wanted to look at are they all SATA (small connector with Lshaped tab inside) or are some PATA(two long rows of holes)?

Jackie69

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
They are the first you mentioned. And yes the photo and link is exactly what I have and it is still not working. I bought another form of adapter from ebay. It stated in the description that I could view old HD's but I can't seem to get it to work either. When the drive that we are speaking of was being used as an external hard drive it began clicking so I would turn the pc off thinking it was just getting hot, sometimes I would flip it with my finger and it would stop clicking. Then one day it wouldn't show anywhere on my computer. So is there the possibility it is just wasted and if so what can I do to still get the information off of it. It has some sensitive information on it I would like to retrieve. Thank you for getting back on this.

Jackie69

Reputable
Apr 26, 2017
They are the first you mentioned. And yes the photo and link is exactly what I have and it is still not working. I bought another form of adapter from ebay. It stated in the description that I could view old HD's but I can't seem to get it to work either. When the drive that we are speaking of was being used as an external hard drive it began clicking so I would turn the pc off thinking it was just getting hot, sometimes I would flip it with my finger and it would stop clicking. Then one day it wouldn't show anywhere on my computer. So is there the possibility it is just wasted and if so what can I do to still get the information off of it. It has some sensitive information on it I would like to retrieve. Thank you for getting back on this.
And by the way it does have the power brick as you described.

Status
Not open for further replies.