Question All-In-One advice

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
We want to get our granddaughter an all-in-one pc. She’s 9 years old and wants a computer with a large screen and a detached keyboard.

We have found an HP at SAM’s that looks pretty good but don’t want to buy her something that’s going to be too slow, etc.

Its at

Let us know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Reactions: Why_Me
That particular HP All In One has a dual core CPU. Ryzen 3 3250u.

8 GB of RAM.

Passmark benchmark single thread score is 1804. Quite low by current PC standards. It does have an SSD. It would certainly be adequate for so-called "normal" tasks........browsing the Internet, email, using Microsoft Office, etc.

Of course, I have no idea if a 9 year old would have any complaints about speed at all. She might be wildly enthusiastic.

I"m not highly famililar with All In Ones, but a quick look at Newegg says you can move up to a 6 core Ryzen for around $600 while maintaining the same screen size. Single thread score around 2900.

I did notice that the highest priced AMD-based All In Ones at Newegg were around $750 and still used the same 5625U processor as the $600 model.

For around 840 and up, you can move to an Intel i5-1235u CPU, which has 10 cores and a Passmark score of 3310. Quite possibly more than you'd like to spend.

I suppose it comes down to budget and your/her expectations.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
I agree the 3250U is too slow. To my mind it's a low power (15W) laptop processor transplanted into a desktop. It will handle basic tasks now but in 18 months time, it will be too slow even for internet browsing.

I know because I bought a very cheap laptop a few years back with a dual-core Celeron. The laptop still works, but trying to do anything on the machine is like wading through treacle. Windows Updates can take two hours instead of ten minutes.

If you're on a tight budget, you could buy a mid-range second hand office system for the same price. Many large corporations change their computers every three years and refurbished machines soon appear on the open market.

You lose the cachet of a brand new computer, but you get a more professional system at a reasonable price.

Such units are not upgradeable.
You might also look at Lenovo, here is a similar unit, but with a much stronger i3-1215U processor.
I have found that if you call lenovo sales directly, they are very helpful and will direct you to offerings and sales that you may not find on your own.

We want to get our granddaughter an all-in-one pc. She’s 9 years old and wants a computer with a large screen and a detached keyboard.

We have found an HP at SAM’s that looks pretty good but don’t want to buy her something that’s going to be too slow, etc.

Its at

Let us know your thoughts.

Thanks!
An aio fits a niche so you have to decide what you want the pc to do and then see if the aio fits.

I have one it works fine it does what I need it to do.

Upgrades are normally limited to ram and storage.