Question All-in-one desktop PC or mini PC?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hard to decide between all-in-one desktop PC and mini PC (i.e. those like a cube)

Nothing demanding will be done. Only browsing web, typing some emails, and watching youtube videos for fun.

I prefer all-in-one because it looks simple and stylish.

But is there anything a mini PC better than an all-in-one desktop? Which one is more durable? Would it be more troublesome to upgrade an all-in-one desktop in the future?

Hard to decide between all-in-one desktop PC and mini PC (i.e. those like a cube)

Nothing demanding will be done. Only browsing web, typing some emails, and watching youtube videos for fun.

But is there anything a mini PC better than an all-in-one desktop? Which one is more durable? Would it be more troublesome to upgrade an all-in-one desktop in the future?

Would you build the mini yourself?

Or would both be pre-built, purchased from a store, ready to use?

Not sure how miniaturized you mean...do you have a link to your prospects?

You mention upgrading.

Not sure, but are you willing to upgrade whatever you buy, but NOT willing to build a mini to start with?

I'd guess a pre-built mini would be easier to upgrade than an all-in-one, but anything pre-built may present roadblocks you would not encounter if you built it yourself from the ground up.

Reactions: brannsiu

vishvajit

BANNED
Jan 21, 2023
All-in-one desktop PCs and mini PCs both have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it really depends on your personal preferences and needs. Here's a comparison:
All-in-One Desktop PC:
  • Advantages: Sleek and stylish design, all components are integrated into the monitor, takes up less desk space.
  • Disadvantages: Limited upgradability, components may be more difficult to access and replace.
Mini PC:
  • Advantages: More upgradability options, compact size and easy to move, more flexible placement options.
  • Disadvantages: Not as stylish as an all-in-one, may require additional components such as a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
In terms of durability, both options can be durable, provided that they are well-made and well-maintained. However, as with any electronic device, there is always some risk of failure or malfunction.
For your intended use of browsing the web, typing emails, and watching YouTube videos, either option should be sufficient. An all-in-one desktop is a good choice if you value aesthetics and simplicity, while a mini PC is a good choice if you value upgradability and flexibility. Ultimately, the choice between the two depends on your personal preferences and needs.

Reactions: brannsiu

I have an aio works fine but I'm not a gamer.
Just one simple box sitting on the desktop.

Upgrades?......perhaps ram and storage.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Would you build the mini yourself?

Or would both be pre-built, purchased from a store, ready to use?

Not sure how miniaturized you mean...do you have a link to your prospects?

You mention upgrading.

Not sure, but are you willing to upgrade whatever you buy, but NOT willing to build a mini to start with?

I'd guess a pre-built mini would be easier to upgrade than an all-in-one, but anything pre-built may present roadblocks you would not encounter if you built it yourself from the ground up.

Well. Then forget about upgrading. I shouldn't have asked such questions. I rarely need to upgrade. As a result, an all-in-one is better?

"Better".......might mean reliability is most important.

Either can break down in the first week or work perfectly for 5 years. Largely unknowable.

"Better"......might mean something related to style or looks. That would be pure personal preference known only to you.

Or it might mean something related to "what do I do if a major part fails after 14 months". Does it go to the garbage like a cheap appliance...or do you find a repair man and spend 200 dollars trying to fix it?

Or it might something related to pure performance....such as CPU power, drive capacity and speed; RAM amount; heat and cooling issues, etc.

We might be able to make a stab at some of that if you had SPECIFIC candidates in mind so we can examine the components.

We don't have much to go on so far.

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019

Mini.

All-in-ones are hard to upgrade.