All in Wonder

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I was checking out some of the ATI All in Wonder Cards and was interested in TV on Demand. It seems to me that it basically works like Tivo. If anyone can give me some info on this or provide links I would be grateful.

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

TV or Video on Demand is nothing like Tivo. IT's a by request service and there's no advantage to using an AIW for that.

If you mean time-shifting or 'PVR' functions then that would be similar to TiVo. Go to ATI's site and read their info it's very descriptive, an that will help you figure out if it's what you're looking for. Also try Hauppauge's website for the same reason.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Hmmm. The following was copied and pasted directly from ATI's website:

TV-ON-DEMAND™
The latest addition to ATI's MULTIMEDIA CENTER 7.0, TV-ON-DEMAND enables you to pause a live program at any time, return later, and resume watching exactly where you left off. With TV-ON-DEMAND, you can view the show from the beginning, even after it has started, without having to wait until the VCR has finished recording the whole program.

That pretty much sounds like Tivo!

Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -- Homer Simpson.

Man I hate it when companies F'up the names of things.

Video/TV on Demand in the industry (even here at the Telephone company [I used t work for TV staion in Montreal] it's called Video on Demand because that is the industry name, TV on demand usually is used by cable companies that have the licensed rights to rebroadcast programing as well [in trials in some cities, like Montreal and Toonto, and in the USE, I know Denver HAD it]) is actually programming YOU request. The proper term for TV reding/pausing and watchin is Time-shifting! Man that's annoying!

Anywhoo, yes, in that case it would be like TiVo, which is a P-ersonal V-ideo R-ecorder or PVR, usualy it' is reffered to as a PVR function for those types of devices. Pausing live TV is a function of PVRs.

Anywho if THAT's what you're lookin for then yes it will do that. Anywhoo, hope that clears it up for you, I didn't realize that ATI co-opted that term for their line, it's all wrong. Oh well, at least you found our answer by looking at their site (which few people bother to do).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Thanks for the information but ease up on the anywhoos. :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Works gr8, just like TiVO, my friend uses it all the time.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
It works with DirectTV?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For DTV you'd still need a decoder box. For digital cable you'd still need your cable box. I don't think TiVO or anything else can get around that, there would have to be a universal link to make one tuner change the channels on the other. But you could use a universal remote to change channels on the box while doing other tasks with the card, if you could find one with a Remote Wonder code (or a programable one).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

For Direct TV there is no work around that I know of, but for digital cable Hauppauge does have a Digital tuner card (no sure which cable companies it supposrts I think Comcast, but that's just a guess, if you check their site it's there). Hauppauge DOES make Sat. tuner cards, but they are only for European Sat. (I think it's SKY TV).
But yeah I think there's no way to do PVR stuff with Direct TV without getting an IR blaster to do the channel changing, but I may be wrong. Of course Direct does have a PVR version of their receiver.

And Black Cat, I say/type 'anywhoo', it's just the way things are and will be.