All keyboard inputs register also as alt-inputs! Help!

zaxer2

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
If it were an issue of the alt key being stuck that would be no problem. My issue is that each letter keypress will register an additional alt-key press.

For example, If i press "w" in Windows Explorer, it will navigate to the directory bar (alt>w) and then type the letter "w". If I try to type a capital "W" in this text box, it will type the letter (shift>w) and then open up a Java Scratchpad. (alt>shift>w)

I have no idea what could be causing this! I recently replaced my Motherboard, GPU, and harddrive though. I also got a new mouse and headset (but the issue still occurs when the mouse is unplugged)

This issue comes and goes seemingly randomly, I've never pinned down what fixes the issue it just sometimes "goes".

My keyboard is a simple Logitech K120

Any help is appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
After you replaced the components listed above, did you reinstall your OS?

Have you ruled out the issue being with the keyboard itself? Sometimes bad QC products can have an imperfection in the keyboard's PCB/membrane area to depress more than one key. You could test this out by borrowing a keyboard from a neighbor friend and seeing if the issue persists.

On that note, can you list your full system's specs? List them as:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
Mouse:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

If after reinstalling the OS the problem persists, try uninstalling the Keyboard from Device Manger, reboot your system and see if the issue is resolved.

zaxer2

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

I did reinstall the OS with the new parts

I doubt it's with the keyboard. If it was just an issue of a short causing a depressed alt key, why would it send both the regular and alt+ commands on each keypress? Either way I'll try swapping the keyboard next time it occurs, it's randomly stopped again. I'll also try refreshing drivers. Help is appreciated regardless!

CPU:
AMD FX-8320 8-Core
Motherboard:
Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 ATX AM3+ Socket DDR3 1600
Ram:
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 F3-14900 1866MHz Dual Channel
Mouse:
Genius GX-Gaming DeathTaker 9 Button Gaming Mouse
SSD/HDD:
WD Blue 1 TB 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache
Transcend 480 GB TLC SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive (holds OS)
GPU:
Radeon RX 480 8GB
PSU:
EVGA 500B 500W 80PLUS (100-B1-0500-KR)