[SOLVED] All kind of BSOD..

Oct 12, 2019
Hello,

So everything started today. I had crashing issues with Modern Warfare like a lot of other players. And today while trying to fix this, firefox started crashing too and then BSODs came out of nowhere. I had a hard time booting into Windows but I finally did. I figured I messed up something and went for a clean install of Windows. But it still crashes right after. It took me 5 times to install avast because it would BSOD during installation. Now I'm trying to install nvidia drivers but same thing is happening, firefox is still crashing too. Can someone tell me how to troubleshoot the problem?

I didn't write all the BSOD code but two of them were:
  • page fault in nonpaged area / ntfs.sys
  • driver_irql_not_less_or_equal / intelppm.sys
I just noticed there were different each time.

Thanks for your help!

------------------- EDIT -------------------

What we've done so far :
  • Memtest86 4 passes both sticks, 4 passes each stick individually: 0 error
  • Updated BIOS and drivers
  • Checked drive health with HDtune/samsung app
  • Safe boot
  • Switched GPU
Perfmon and minidump ZIP files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QnviBT2KXLGSNmWMDeP6b76bV29tz_Hq?usp=sharing
I hope you'll see the perfmon report and the minidump file reports in english.

Last edited:
Solution
3 parts: (Including quick dump look).

If stable at lower stock clocks, hardware suspected.

=====================================================

Your power supply wasn't specified, an inadequate one could also lead to the effects you describe, since your ram appears to be stable. Increased power is needed at overclocks vs stock.

================================================

As for the circuitry, the TL:DR version?

Negative Bias Temperature Instability, Positive Bias Temperature Instability, Time Dependent Dielectric Breakdown effects can be at play., with a Hot Carrier Injection wear out mechanism, Progress of HCI is directly related to the channel length, oxide thickness, and the operating voltage of the device, so...
Oct 12, 2019
On a different PC download and install memtest86 to a USB stick. Boot to the USB stick on the failing computer and run a few passes. Should have zero faults.
Pass #4 completed without any error. I'm gonna test them individually now. I reverted the OC back and the BSOD stopped by the way. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't because the OC wasn't stable. I tried enabling only the "Enhanced Turbo" feature in the BIOS and BSOD were back again so something else is wrong. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019
Ok so I ran memtest86 4 passes for both sticks and 4 passes for each stick individually. No error detected. I checked the drive too. I looked into the dump file and apparently every crash has "ntoskrnl.exe* linked to it. But I have no clue what it is linked to. I'll do some research but if anyone can help, I would really appreciate it ;)

Here is a link to the dump file: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ROKNlU96Rhq3aRTKLagzAMBvzgzeoyyQ?usp=sharing

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Pass #4 completed without any error. I'm gonna test them individually now. I reverted the OC back and the BSOD stopped by the way. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't because the OC wasn't stable. I tried enabling only the "Enhanced Turbo" feature in the BIOS and BSOD were back again so something else is wrong. I'll keep you updated.

Sorry but I cannot get it. You were overclocking and got BSOD errors, then reverted back and you no longer have BSODs. And you are thinking that it is not because of overclocking. Why? What you wrote exactly shows that these errors are related with overclocking. Am I missing something?

Have you tried overclocking with less ambitious values?

How long you were using this computer before experiencing these errors?

Oct 12, 2019
Have you tried overclocking with less ambitious values?
Yes sorry that's what I meant. I can only run it at stock values now. If I try to slightly overlcock it, I have programms craching and at some point BSODs. I actually don't know if at stock settings I won't have BSODs. I haven't yet but had some trouble with windows responding at some point.
That's what I meant when I said it wasn't because of the stability of the OC. It makes no sense that I can't make it to the "turbo" frequency without having issues.

How long you were using this computer before experiencing these errors?
I'm using this computer since April this year with the OC done at the same time. I've had zero issue with the OC since then. That's what I'm wondering about... I had no signs that the OC wasn't stable anymore. One day it was just over. And now, I can't even use the "safe" OC feature without having BSODs.

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Yes sorry that's what I meant. I can only run it at stock values now. If I try to slightly overlcock it, I have programms craching and at some point BSODs. I actually don't know if at stock settings I won't have BSODs. I haven't yet but had some trouble with windows responding at some point.
That's what I meant when I said it wasn't because of the stability of the OC. It makes no sense that I can't make it to the "turbo" frequency without having issues.

I'm using this computer since April this year with the OC done at the same time. I've had zero issue with the OC since then. That's what I'm wondering about... I had no signs that the OC wasn't stable anymore. One day it was just over. And now, I can't even use the "safe" OC feature without having BSODs.

Have you read about failing CPUs some time after overclocking?

Your case seems like it, can you please run computer for some days in stock values to eliminate all other possibilities.

Oct 12, 2019
Have you read about failing CPUs some time after overclocking?

Your case seems like it, can you please run computer for some days in stock values to eliminate all other possibilities.
No never seen a thing about that. I'll check that out. And yes I'll leave the stock values for the next few days to check stability.
But if it's the CPU failing, I should see problems too at stock right if not now, soon?

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
No never seen a thing about that. I'll check that out. And yes I'll leave the stock values for the next few days to check stability.
But if it's the CPU failing, I should see problems too at stock right if not now, soon?
Not exactly. I have read CPUs fail when overclocked, Some only works when Turbo mode disabled. Search 9900K's failing after one year.

Your power supply wasn't specified, an inadequate one could also lead to the effects you describe, since your ram appears to be stable. Increased power is needed at overclocks vs stock.

Negative Bias Temperature Instability, Positive Bias Temperature Instability, Time Dependent Dielectric Breakdown effects can be at play., with a Hot Carrier Injection wear out mechanism, Progress of HCI is directly related to the channel length, oxide thickness, and the operating voltage of the device, so as transistors shrink, these effects are magnified, vs the larger gates in previous devices. Higher power lends to more trapped charge. Failure is rarely immediately catastrophic, but errors start appearing. This is why parts wear out faster when overclocked vs at stock.

These effects are why Intel didn't sell the chip as a higher clocked part from the start. They want a margin for longer life.

You can see continued problems or further degradation / instability as time goes by, yes, Further need to drop clocks below stock for stability would be a possible sign of need to replace the CPU.

Quick Dump look:

OSBUILD: 18362
OSSERVICEPACK: 476

==============================

--DMP 112119-6871-02

ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (be)

PROCESS_NAME: firefox.exe
MODULE_NAME: CI
IMAGE_NAME: CI.dll

=====

--DMP 112119-6781-01

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef)

PROCESS_NAME: svchost.exe
MODULE_NAME: RPCRT4
IMAGE_NAME: RPCRT4.dll

=====

--DMP 112119-6453-01

PROCESS_NAME: services.exe
MODULE_NAME: ntdll
IMAGE_NAME: ntdll.dll

=====

--DMP 112019-5515-01

MODULE_NAME: nt
IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption

=====

--DMP 112019-5218-01

IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe

========================================

Modules

AVAST Related:

aswArDisk.sys................Sep 6 2019
aswArPot.sys..................Sep 6 2019
aswbidsdriver.sys............Sep 6 2019
aswbidsh.sys.................Sep 6 2019
aswbuniv.sys.................Sep 6 2019
aswElam.sys..................Sep 3 2019
aswHdsKe.sys.................Sep 6 2019
aswKbd.sys...................Sep 6 2019
aswMonFlt.sys................Oct 29 2019
aswRdr2.sys..................Sep 6 2019
aswRvrt.sys..................Sep 6 2019
aswSnx.sys...................Sep 26 2019
aswSP.sys....................Sep 26 2019
aswStm.sys...................Sep 6 2019
aswVmm.sys...................Sep 6 2019

Killer Network:

e2xw10x64.sys................Sep 14 2016
KfeCo10X64.sys...............Mar 21 2019

NVidia related

nvhda64v.sys.................Jun 21 2019
nvlddmkm.sys.................Nov 6 2019
nvvad64v.sys.................Mar 14 2019
nvvhci.sys...................Aug 16 2018

Afterburner:

RTCore64.sys.................Sep 19 2019

Razer related:

rzendpt.sys..................Oct 26 2016
rzudd.sys....................Oct 26 2016

Samsung NVMe

secnvme.sys..................Sep 18 2019

Intel Management Engine:

TeeDriverW8x64.sys...........May 7 2019

UcmCxUcsiNvppc.sys...........May 14 2019 NVidia USB?

Solution
Oct 12, 2019

Negative Bias Temperature Instability, Positive Bias Temperature Instability, Time Dependent Dielectric Breakdown effects can be at play., with a Hot Carrier Injection wear out mechanism, Progress of HCI is directly related to the channel length, oxide thickness, and the operating voltage of the device, so as transistors shrink, these effects are magnified, vs the larger gates in previous devices. Higher power lends to more trapped charge. Failure is rarely immediately catastrophic, but errors start appearing. This is why parts wear out faster when overclocked vs at stock.

These effects are why Intel didn't sell the chip as a higher clocked part from the start. They want a margin for longer life.

You can see continued problems or further degradation / instability as time goes by, yes, Further need to drop clocks below stock for stability would be a possible sign of need to replace the CPU.

Quick Dump look:

OSBUILD: 18362
OSSERVICEPACK: 476

==============================

--DMP 112119-6871-02

PROCESS_NAME: firefox.exe
MODULE_NAME: CI
IMAGE_NAME: CI.dll

=====

--DMP 112119-6781-01

MODULE_NAME: RPCRT4
IMAGE_NAME: RPCRT4.dll

=====

--DMP 112119-6453-01

PROCESS_NAME: services.exe
MODULE_NAME: ntdll
IMAGE_NAME: ntdll.dll

=====

--DMP 112019-5515-01

IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption

=====

--DMP 112019-5218-01

IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe

========================================

Modules

AVAST Related:

aswArDisk.sys................Sep 6 2019
aswArPot.sys..................Sep 6 2019
aswbidsdriver.sys............Sep 6 2019
aswbidsh.sys.................Sep 6 2019
aswbuniv.sys.................Sep 6 2019
aswElam.sys..................Sep 3 2019
aswHdsKe.sys.................Sep 6 2019
aswKbd.sys...................Sep 6 2019
aswMonFlt.sys................Oct 29 2019
aswRdr2.sys..................Sep 6 2019
aswRvrt.sys..................Sep 6 2019
aswSnx.sys...................Sep 26 2019
aswSP.sys....................Sep 26 2019
aswStm.sys...................Sep 6 2019
aswVmm.sys...................Sep 6 2019

Killer Network:

e2xw10x64.sys................Sep 14 2016
KfeCo10X64.sys...............Mar 21 2019

NVidia related

nvhda64v.sys.................Jun 21 2019
nvlddmkm.sys.................Nov 6 2019
nvvad64v.sys.................Mar 14 2019
nvvhci.sys...................Aug 16 2018

Afterburner:

RTCore64.sys.................Sep 19 2019

Razer related:

rzendpt.sys..................Oct 26 2016
rzudd.sys....................Oct 26 2016

Samsung NVMe

secnvme.sys..................Sep 18 2019

Intel Management Engine:

TeeDriverW8x64.sys...........May 7 2019

UcmCxUcsiNvppc.sys...........May 14 2019 NVidia USB?
Hey thank you for your answer. So PSU is the Corsair RM 750x, I'm pretty sure it's enough for this system.
So thanks for all this knowledge :) But it doesn't really tell me what to do to pinpoint the problem. I went looking about the minidump on internet and it tells me it's about some specific driver conflict but it seems like it isn't. Each time I uninstall the program linked to the BSOD, it points to another one.
In every BSOD, I aslo see "ntoskrnl.exe" showing up. What does it mean?

I'm gonna test a different GPU on the system to check that out. And I'm gonna take my cpu out to test it on my friend's PC. Can you see anything else I can do?

Thanks again for your help.

NTSOKRNL is the system kernal. It is a core windows component and often identified in dumps where windows throws its hands up in the air and goes..dunno, maybe? Generally something else caused the crash..

Run at stock clocks only.

Uninstall anything Razer related

Run a clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Stability afterwards may indicate it was one of the installed programs

Run the System File Checker: (and possibly DISM)
Run from an elevated command prompt:
sfc /scannow

If everything is fine, you’ll see a message that indicates no integrity violations were found.

If you see a “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them” message, try restarting your PC in Safe Mode and running the command again. If that fails, you can also try booting with your installation media or recovery disc and trying the command from there.

You shouldn’t normally have to run the DISM command. Some people run it as a matter of course before SFC. However, if the SFC command fails to run properly or can’t replace a corrupted file with the correct one, the DISM command can sometimes fix the underlying Windows system and make SFC run correctly.

Oct 12, 2019
NTSOKRNL is the system kernal. It is a core windows component and often identified in dumps where windows throws its hands up in the air and goes..dunno, maybe? Generally something else caused the crash..

Run a clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

sfc /scannow

If everything is fine, you’ll see a message that indicates no integrity violations were found.

If you see a “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them” message, try restarting your PC in Safe Mode and running the command again. If that fails, you can also try booting with your installation media or recovery disc and trying the command from there.

You shouldn’t normally have to run the DISM command. Some people run it as a matter of course before SFC. However, if the SFC command fails to run properly or can’t replace a corrupted file with the correct one, the DISM command can sometimes fix the underlying Windows system and make SFC run correctly.
Ok so just to be clear, I had BSODs way before installing anything on the PC. If I remember correctly I got one during Windows installation. During the very last part. If not, I'm sure there was some error because I had to re-do the last part. And every time I try the slightest OC ---> BSOD

I was running at stock the past few days and everything was running ok (some alt-tabbing delay on Fullscreen programs). But sadly got my first BSOD at stock settings just a few minutes ago.

Already done the SFC and DISM. Everything was fine. I also tested the other GPU, didn't help. I won't be able to test my CPU on my friend's PC for a week. What can I do in the meantime?

I'm going to try the clean boot, I'll keep you updated.

Thanks a lot!

Page fault in nonpaged area and driver_irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD are often caused by unstable ram settings such as timings and speed.

You can see if this is the case by selecting the loosest timings and lowest speed for your ram in the bios and seeing if the problem persists.

Oct 12, 2019

Run a clean boot

sfc /scannow

Ok so tried the clean boot and got a BSOD after few minutes in. I don't know if it's useful but windows is pretty slow for some specific things like alt-tabbing takes 5 sec. Or I get stuck on the rebooting screen for 3 minutes..

Oct 12, 2019
Page fault in nonpaged area and driver_irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD are often caused by unstable ram settings such as timings and speed.

You can see if this is the case by selecting the loosest timings and lowest speed for your ram in the bios and seeing if the problem persists.
Hey thanks for your answer!

Just a question before I go tweak that in the BIOS. Is memtest86 supposed to detect the problem you describe? Because I ran it for hours without error.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019
Ok so took longer than expected but finally tested all my hardware on my friend's PC. I tested the CPU first on his system and it immediatly went on a BSOD loop. I also tried his CPU on my system to be sure and everything was running fine.
I'm going to try the RMA. I'll keep you updated if it interest you.

Thank you all for your time!