Question All kinds of games are crashing on my system

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
My system:

yYTwVEU.png

On Feburary 2019, I bought and installed my new graphics card, XFX RX 580 GTS XXX (8gb) and since then, my games are crashing at random, there is not a thing that seems to be out of order, temperatures are good, clock speeds are good (1386mhz) and power is good too, set at 1,100mV maximum and 120-150w at peak consumption.

I can not seem to reproduce these crashes, they just happen at random and nothing seems to be going out of order prior to it, I repeat, this card does not go over 80-82ºC under stress which I believe is good for the type of card that it is, in games like forza horizon 4, at ultra 1080p60fps capped it hangs well at 65-75 degrees at 70-100% usage.

When these games crash, the following happens, the game just stops completely and then closes, or it stops completely and I have to forcibly close it with Task Manager, or the game will go black and close, or forcibly closed by task manager. Very few times the sound glitches out for a few seconds and then stops, then game closes. I would say 90% of the time there is no sound glitch when the game crashes, just a still image.

It happens with all kinds of games. I have experienced crashes in the following titles;

• Monster Hunter World
  • Apex Legends
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Forza Horizon 4 (it happens quite often)
  • Devil May Cry 5 (it almost never happens)
  • Tropico 6 (it happens VERY often)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (it happens quite often)
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (it almost never happens)
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  • Subnautica
As you can see, this is a pretty varied list of games and the crashes happen in every single one of them, some are pretty uncommon (many hours of play, even days without crashes) and some happen very often, (15 minutes-3 hours of play, like FH4 and Tropico 6).

My card does not present artifacting or black screens, or full system shutdowns/crash, which makes me doubt whether the card came faulty.

The ONLY game in which I experienced artifacting is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but it seems to be a normal bug within the game, as many people seem to get it and fix it by disabling a certain type of antialiasing or going back to DirectX11 from DirectX12

I have reinstalled countless times my GPU drivers to no avail. I also uninstalled drivers with DDU. Prior to this card I had a GTX 660, and actually, the crashes also happened with this card, but not nearly as often, these crashes would be scattered across many hours of gameplay, even days and would not be nearly as annoying. I do remember a couple games in which these crashes happened quite often on the old GPU (compared to any other game on it):

• Grand Theft Auto V
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Forza Horizon 3
I am starting to think that this is happening due to the bottleneck in my CPU, the single threaded performance may be ok, but the lack in multi-threaded performance may cause some errors in draw calls, which in turn causes these games to crash, or simply faulty RAM, as seen in some crash dumps I have set windows to take for when games crash (I have experienced very few times some very minor graphical glitches on games with both GPUs, these glitches would be just certain assets and terrain being displaced for a few miliseconds and then going where they are supposed to be, not long enough to be annoying, but enough for me to be able to see it).

At this point I am thinking about doing a fresh windows installation but I am unsure whether this will be actually do anything.

Please find here a short list of the most recent crash dumps for you to see and maybe you can find something interesting

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Per Speccy: Motherboard at 109 C? Seems high.

Any error codes or warnings within Reliability History or Event Viewer?

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in Reliability History/Manager for error codes and warnings preceding the crashes.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. First while not gaming and then while gaming - you may note some issue that develops when the overall system is being stressed while trying to keep up with gaming requirements.

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
Per Speccy: Motherboard at 109 C? Seems high.

Any error codes or warnings within Reliability History or Event Viewer?

What PSU is installed: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in Reliability History/Manager for error codes and warnings preceding the crashes.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. First while not gaming and then while gaming - you may note some issue that develops when the overall system is being stressed while trying to keep up with gaming requirements.

Motheboard is not anywhere near that hot, it's a bug, it always shows this temperature. it would cause crazy idle temperatures in other components, I've hovered my hand around my pc and I don't feel any crazy heat radiating off it while idle.

I've used MSI Afterburner to check on my pc while playing and I can't find any anomalies in the numbers

I would need to check event viewer!, also I read the crash dumps before but I honestly don't understand much of what it is trying to explain to me. Something about memory access, I am not sure what it is supposed to mean.

My power supply is a EVGA 500B, 500 watts 80+ bronze PSU. It should handle these components just fine I believe. It's about 2 years old.

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.282.354.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\ForzaHorizon4.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: MoAppCrash
Package Full Name: Microsoft.SunriseBaseGame_1.282.354.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Application Name: praid:SunriseReleaseFinal
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5cab56ac
Fault Module Name: amdxc64.dll
Fault Module Version: 25.20.15031.1000
Fault Module Timestamp: 5c9af1cb
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000293c83
OS Version: 10.0.17763.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b167
Additional Information 2: b167a9caf34024e908caff8d157bddc6
Additional Information 3: e0f7
Additional Information 4: e0f776e19168fdc733311a0d8fd8d0bb

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 590f6f9e9a6f7f82205cfa2c8d242a81 (1179092271717689985)

Forza Horizon 4's latest reliability history

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\Games\Tropico 6\Tropico6\Binaries\Win64\Tropico6-Win64-Shipping.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Tropico6-Win64-Shipping.exe
Application Version: 4.20.2.0
Application Timestamp: 5c9a99ae
Fault Module Name: ATIDXX64.DLL
Fault Module Version: 25.20.15031.1000
Fault Module Timestamp: 5c9af3bc
Exception Offset: 00000000000827bc
Additional Information 1: 1227
Additional Information 2: 1227b2439dfd93f431ed0387896410a3
Additional Information 3: e4c7
Additional Information 4: e4c70b4585bab880897e1f6b2a3cc769

Bucket ID: 361816c178bf1c15eec3cdba552b3d14 (2216841641772924180)

Tropico 6's latest

Description
Faulting Application Path: F:\Games\Sekiro Shadows Die Twice\sekiro.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: sekiro.exe
Application Version: 1.2.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5c87e3ca
Fault Module Name: d3d11.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.17763.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 13a31007
Exception Offset: 000000000012ac33
Additional Information 1: d7e3
Additional Information 2: d7e33a1132c3711df4ca582c03c38a32
Additional Information 3: 9a82
Additional Information 4: 9a824f28add2b39b750eae36b3c24744

Bucket ID: bb173957bc63edb13ea7219e0a1e5681 (2208771104906827393)

Sekiro's.

All these seem to be sharing same exception code: c0000005

What could it mean?

Ralston18

Titan
The exception code is a good start:

I googled "c0000005" and limited the search results to the last year.

Found quite a number of websites with possible underlying causes for the problem and some solutions. E.g., RAM problems or bugs in the OS version.

My suggestion is to google the exception code and then revise the research results to match your system specs along with what you known about your system's history and current configuration.

You may be able to narrow down the cause by elimination if anything.

Just be very careful about websites that pop-up claiming to fix the problem. All too many of those websites will show up and offer a solution no matter what the problem may be.

And I would not, at this time, eliminate the PSU per se. 500 watts may seem okay but I would total up the current load wattage, add 25%, and see how close that is to the 500 watt rating. Plus, with the PSU being "about two years old" it may be starting to degrade through use and time. I.e., may not always be able to maintain the power requirements of heavy gaming.

Could be that one of memory modules is not constantly receiving the voltage it requires....

I bought and installed my new graphics card, XFX RX 580 GTS XXX (8gb) and since then, my games are crashing at random, there is not a thing that seems to be out of order, temperatures are good, clock speeds are good (1386mhz) and power is good too, set at 1,100mV maximum and 120-150w at peak consumption.
Your card is factory overclocked model. Reduce overclock to AMD reference clocks.
Base Frequency :1257 MHz​
Boost Frequency:1340 MHz​

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
The exception code is a good start:

I googled "c0000005" and limited the search results to the last year.

Found quite a number of websites with possible underlying causes for the problem and some solutions. E.g., RAM problems or bugs in the OS version.

My suggestion is to google the exception code and then revise the research results to match your system specs along with what you known about your system's history and current configuration.

You may be able to narrow down the cause by elimination if anything.

Just be very careful about websites that pop-up claiming to fix the problem. All too many of those websites will show up and offer a solution no matter what the problem may be.

And I would not, at this time, eliminate the PSU per se. 500 watts may seem okay but I would total up the current load wattage, add 25%, and see how close that is to the 500 watt rating. Plus, with the PSU being "about two years old" it may be starting to degrade through use and time. I.e., may not always be able to maintain the power requirements of heavy gaming.

Could be that one of memory modules is not constantly receiving the voltage it requires....

I found a post in this forum with a similar rig, just a lower end graphics card having pretty similar issues as me. on memtest they had multiple errors on the RAM. I will run a memtest86 and get back to you.

I am sure the power supply is fine because I had older system before the G4560 and it ran fine, and the voltage numbers always look good on AIDA64, also, I thought low power caused system crashes or driver crashes, not just game crashes? ANd these are not happening to me!

D

Deleted member 14196

the thing is this, during gameplay, your gpu card uses a lot of power, the harder pushed, the more power, that's how it happens during games. it' isn't a digital thing where it works or doesn't, if it can't provide the current and voltages necessary under load, it shuts off.

also, as mentioned above, remove all your overclock from that gpu. it's already overclocked from factory as stated above

voltages are important for sure, but not everything, if your GPU is consuming too many WATTS of power.

P = VI
power = Voltage x Current
(I in amperes)

a sagging power supply can sag and not produce the required current while voltages may appear ok under minimal loads

Last edited by a moderator:

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
I reseated the RAM yesterday night and played some -- issues are still present.

I did memtest for 2 hours just now, with 4 passes for every test and got 0 errors, below is the test file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zrDkp2bKTRXOMAqH2CepB6GWFvlgyOhO

Seems like the RAM (+ CPU?) is not the issue here. So we are left, with Windows, PSU or perhaps I have 2 faulty graphics cards (which i doubt, because the PC is presenting the same exact issue just more often)

I will try now running the graphics card at 1300Mhz, 1,100mV, play a few hours to test stability and get back to you.

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
I dont know anybody near with a better PSU than me and I cant simple afford to buy new components on my computer in hopes that it gets fixed without knowing whether this is the part at fault (I live in Venezuela), the wattage seems good during gameplay, and undervolting or stock volts seem to have pretty similar crash times (it is random but there is a particular timeframe in which the game crashes and it doesnt seem to be shorter or longer depending on the Voltage set by me, this timeframe in the likes of Forza Horizon 4 could be 15 minutes or 5 hours of gameplay, or maybe the whole day if I am lucky).

Anything else you guys think I could try before assuming buying a brand new PSU is the way to go?

I would like to mention that the games do CTD, I dont get blue screens or anything, its just CTD, I believe if it was the PSU then my whole system would crash (bluescreen, or complete shut off), if I am wrong, please correct me though!

I am thinking about doing a clean wipe of my SSD and reinstalling Windows without email (local user) in hopes that a completely clean windows will get it fixed. But I would like to discard any other tests or changes I could do prior to this.

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
I tried using OCCT but it was very buggy and the test wouldn't start so I settled with AIDA64 test on all stressable hardware.

It ran for 18 minutes and no crash (I had less demanding games crash in a shorter amount of time), voltages and power draw seems good according to the monitor, with maximum load of ~180w for a RX580 and ~40w for a full load G4560 and voltage "minimum" and "maximum" look pretty well (in my eyes) here is information of voltages and etc at the start of test and right before stopping. If these numbers are bad please let me know.

View: https://imgur.com/a/E4lTBHr

Last edited:

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
I did a complete wipe of all my drives and started with Windows from 0 (I deleted all volumes and had a lot of unallocated space I later had to allocate upon Windows installation on the SSD), only saved a few documents from my job on a little stick drive.

I've been playing Tropico 6 since yesterday, Ive played about a total of ~5 hours without any crashes, however, I am running an old driver version that automatically installed after Windows set itself up (Crimson ReLive 17.1.1). before upgrading to Adrenalin 19, I wanted to try playing with this driver version and its holding up really well, as this specific game was one of the worst contenders with numerous crashes in very little hours of game, which amounted to a lot of lost progress and frustration.

I am now downloading Forza Horizon 4 and will see how it performs, as this one was also crashing a lot, if it stays stable I am going to install Adrenalin drivers and see how it does, if the crashes are back I will rollback, keeping fingers crossed since the latest AMD drivers provide a significant boost to performance and features.

If you think I should just install latest drivers let me know. I could take any feedback at this point!

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
you could try to use others driver auntil system stay stable also did notice when there is a cpu voltage raising system throttle and pu goes down did you ovedclock it and what temp it have under load look like it is shuthing to protect himself .

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
you could try to use others driver auntil system stay stable also did notice when there is a cpu voltage raising system throttle and pu goes down did you ovedclock it and what temp it have under load look like it is shuthing to protect himself .

Pentium G4560 is not overclockable and my motherboard does not have overclock support. Its running at stock for sure!

THe CPU does not get over 65 degress while game or 70 degress whiled stressed, it needs thermal paste swap I know but its running fine on temps still.

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
Ever since the wipe I havent had any crashes (only once in FH4, probably just app inestability). Looks likeits holding up well. I will undervolt and put boost clock on the GPU (1386) and report back.