Question All kinds of games are crashing on my system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
My system:

yYTwVEU.png

On Feburary 2019, I bought and installed my new graphics card, XFX RX 580 GTS XXX (8gb) and since then, my games are crashing at random, there is not a thing that seems to be out of order, temperatures are good, clock speeds are good (1386mhz) and power is good too, set at 1,100mV maximum and 120-150w at peak consumption.

I can not seem to reproduce these crashes, they just happen at random and nothing seems to be going out of order prior to it, I repeat, this card does not go over 80-82ºC under stress which I believe is good for the type of card that it is, in games like forza horizon 4, at ultra 1080p60fps capped it hangs well at 65-75 degrees at 70-100% usage.

When these games crash, the following happens, the game just stops completely and then closes, or it stops completely and I have to forcibly close it with Task Manager, or the game will go black and close, or forcibly closed by task manager. Very few times the sound glitches out for a few seconds and then stops, then game closes. I would say 90% of the time there is no sound glitch when the game crashes, just a still image.

It happens with all kinds of games. I have experienced crashes in the following titles;

• Monster Hunter World
  • Apex Legends
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Forza Horizon 4 (it happens quite often)
  • Devil May Cry 5 (it almost never happens)
  • Tropico 6 (it happens VERY often)
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider (it happens quite often)
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (it almost never happens)
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  • Subnautica
As you can see, this is a pretty varied list of games and the crashes happen in every single one of them, some are pretty uncommon (many hours of play, even days without crashes) and some happen very often, (15 minutes-3 hours of play, like FH4 and Tropico 6).

My card does not present artifacting or black screens, or full system shutdowns/crash, which makes me doubt whether the card came faulty.

The ONLY game in which I experienced artifacting is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but it seems to be a normal bug within the game, as many people seem to get it and fix it by disabling a certain type of antialiasing or going back to DirectX11 from DirectX12

I have reinstalled countless times my GPU drivers to no avail. I also uninstalled drivers with DDU. Prior to this card I had a GTX 660, and actually, the crashes also happened with this card, but not nearly as often, these crashes would be scattered across many hours of gameplay, even days and would not be nearly as annoying. I do remember a couple games in which these crashes happened quite often on the old GPU (compared to any other game on it):

• Grand Theft Auto V
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Forza Horizon 3
I am starting to think that this is happening due to the bottleneck in my CPU, the single threaded performance may be ok, but the lack in multi-threaded performance may cause some errors in draw calls, which in turn causes these games to crash, or simply faulty RAM, as seen in some crash dumps I have set windows to take for when games crash (I have experienced very few times some very minor graphical glitches on games with both GPUs, these glitches would be just certain assets and terrain being displaced for a few miliseconds and then going where they are supposed to be, not long enough to be annoying, but enough for me to be able to see it).

At this point I am thinking about doing a fresh windows installation but I am unsure whether this will be actually do anything.

Please find here a short list of the most recent crash dumps for you to see and maybe you can find something interesting

Last edited:

CatPlayer

Reputable
May 12, 2016
ok be around .

Ok so it has been quite sometime since I was here.

After extensive testing the breaking point seems to be with the GPU Driver and something in my hardware.

After I went and got the latest GPU driver the CTDs started becoming common place again. At this point I rolled back to the older driver I mentioned previously and it ran flawlessly, however, it had been quite a lot of time since that driver had released and the newer ones made much better use of my GPUs capabilities so I decided to search up some driver versions, at some point I decided to go with last driver before Andrenalin 19.0 which would be Adrenalin 18.9.3, I installed it about 3-4 days ago and ever since then I haven't had a single crash on Forza or any other game, while having much better performance than Relive 17.1.1.

This must be something recent that came up between my (mobo/cpu/ram) that is having compatibility issues with the newer version of Adrenalin, so I guess I won't update my drivers in a while and see if the newer version does better in a couple months. This is pure speculation because I honestly do not know which specific part of my system is causing these CTDs.