All Memory Slots Same Colour

DvineD

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hi,

I'm putting together my computer now and I'm about to install the RAM but all of the memory slots are the same colour. Every guide I see says to put the RAM in the matching colour sockets for that pair, but I can't find anything on if all the sockets are the same colour.

The motherboard I am using is Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H and the RAM i'm attempting to install is Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

I looked at the booklet for the motherboard and it says this:

'The four DDR3 memory sockets are divided into two channels and each channel has two memory sockets as following:
>>Channel A - DDR3_2 + DDR3_4
>>Channel B - DDR3_1 + DDR3_3'

From this I gather I should put the RAM in either 1 + 3, or 2 + 4 which would go by what the guides say when using the matching colour sockets, however the booklet then goes on to say:

'Due to CPU limitations, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual Channel mode:
1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR3 memory module is installed - (I understand this already)
2. When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed and chips be used. (I understand this also)

>>For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets.<<

The above is the line that confuses me. Those are two seperate channels according to what it says further up in the booklet.

Could someone please tell me which sockets I should put my RAM into please?
Again, all the sockets are the same colour (Black).

Many thanks.

chugot9218

Honorable
I would maybe contact someone at Gigabyte for a solid answer, but I am gonna go ahead and say slot 1 and 3, as almost every MOBO I have seen with 4 RAM slots works that way. It shouldn't blow anything up if it isn't right. I am only musing, but I have always assumed that it is set up staggered like that so that each channel has a module on the "close side".

DvineD

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Yeah it makes sense to install them in DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 and if they were colour coded then that's where the matching colours would be also.
I'm just gonna put them in there then, thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS