Question All my games started lagging/stuttering overnight

Captainrex221

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
Hi everyone, last night I was playing Bioshock Infinite without any problems. Today I entered my pc to work, and in the afternoon I tried to play some Fortnite with a couple of friends, and the game was running extremely bad, with a lot of stuttering, lagging and FPS drops, even on the lowest. At first I just thought that was because of the recente season change, so I tried to play Monster Hunter World, and had the same exact problems, and the same thing with Bioshock Infinite, which worked without any problems last night.
I didn't change anything on my pc, didn't update any drivers, didn't install any programs, nothing. When I checked the task manager, I noticed that my GPU was reaching 100% in every game, so I thought that was the issue.

After a clean windows reinstall, I tried Monster Hunter World and the problem still persisted, now not using 100% of my GPU. I tried changing stuff on the NVIDIA control panel, uninstalling NVIDIA HD Audio Drivers (I read somewhere that these could cause similar issues), disabling NVIDIA overlay and windows game task bar, reverting to a previous video driver, nothing worked.

Already checked temps (GPU around 50 to 60 °C, can reach 70 °C in a more modern game) , and my SDD and HD are basically empty.

If someone knows how to fix this, please help me.

SPECS:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB Ram
SDD Kingston 240GB
Seagate 2TB HD
Corsair VS650 (3 to 4 years old)

EDIT:
- Lowering the quality of the games doesn't fix the issue, but it increases the time between the fps drops.

Last edited:
The SSD has 170gb of 240 occupied, the HD has 1.38TB of 2TB occupied.
All my games are on my HD, and I defraged it last night.
How defragmented was the HDD before you defragged it, and how often do you defrag it? Going a long time in between defragging then doing a massive defrag (not saying that's what you did), can often cause harm to a HDD, especially if it's not a high quality one.

Unless you can tell us something else you did recently, since this happened suddenly, I would check your HDD health with a full diagnostic scan.

Captainrex221

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
How defragmented was the HDD before you defragged it, and how often do you defrag it? Going a long time in between defragging then doing a massive defrag (not saying that's what you did), can often cause harm to a HDD, especially if it's not a high quality one.

Unless you can tell us something else you did recently, since this happened suddenly, I would check your HDD health with a full diagnostic scan.

I defrag it like, once every 2, 3 weeks. I already did a diagnostic scan on both SDD and HDD, and the memories, both results said nothing was wrong.