Question All new build won't POST, CPU light on w/o RAM ?

Jul 9, 2023
Hello,

I decided after not building since 2008 I'd get back into it, and so this is an all new build. After installing all parts my machine wouldn't post, red VGA and Boot lights. Since my CPU has integrated graphics I pulled the GPU and still VGA and Boot lights. So I then pulled my RAM and now the red CPU light is on. I've checked all connections, have reseated the CPU and reinstalled the CPU cooler.

I'm hoping it's not an RMA but I'm afraid it might have to be. I'm looking at the CPU and socket and I think I see damage on the socket but I could be wrong. Pictures attached and build listed below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated here

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCue H100i Elite Capellix XT
Motherboard: ASRock X670E Steel Legend ATX AM5
Ram: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 64GB 2x32 DDR5
SSD/HDD: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD
GPU: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XT
PSU: MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000W
Chassis: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

have reseated the CPU and reinstalled the CPU cooler.
4th pin from the top, 8th pin from the right, can you take a better look at it? It seems to me like it's abent pin.

If that's a false alarm, instead of mounting the cooler, breadboard the system and have the cooler placed atop of the CPU's IHS, instead of tightening it down, Often times too much mounting pressure can cause some pins to not make contact with the underside of the CPU.

If that doesn't help, try with rams in slots A2 and B2, then you can try with the BIOS FlashBack option;
refer to page 49-50, section 2.13

Jul 9, 2023
Hi Lutfij,

Thank you for getting back to me! Took me a minute to get the right angle, I completely agree with you and added a few pictures just to verify. Based on the other threads on this I'm thinking I go to Amazon and request a replacement, and if no luck I'll go to either a jeweler or a repair shop and hope for the best? Sorry being rusty I just like to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious

I previously tried booting as you have described with the cooler, with RAM @ A2 & B2 and just @ B2. Have done the BIOS FB as well but no luck :( but I think we know why on all counts

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
Good luck getting a replacement motherboard if you've accidentally bent a pin in the CPU socket. It's a bit like driving a brand new car off the showroom forecourt into a lamp post. I doubt the garage would pay for your mistake and Amazon may think the same.

Of course the motherboard might have arrived in that condition with a bent pin, especially if Amazon sent you a "refurbished" unit. Sometimes customer returns end up back in the distribution chain by mistake. Did you examine the contacts or take a photo of the socket before installing the CPU?

Jul 9, 2023
Yes I think you're probably right, and I of course didn't think to take photos before but in all likelihood it was my mistake. Well I will see what Amazon says and give fixing the pin a shot, sell the board for parts if it's KIA.

Thanks for the information!