Question All new parts, still won’t boot. What am I missing?

Jan 7, 2022
Hey all,

So my previous build was as follows:

Ryzen 5 2600X
MSI 1060 6gb
32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz
MSI B450 Performance Gaming Plus

Includes: 2 SSDs, 2 HDD, no M2. 2 case fans, stock Ryzen CPU fan. Unk name EVGA Semi Modular PSU.

I have been running this build since mid 2019 with zero issues until recently. Week or two ago it would randomly shut off, irrelevant of load. Screen would go black and CPU light would turn on. This slowly started happening more and more and I was unable to find any information within Windows Events as to what caused it.
Ultimately, I attempted manipulating various pieces. Reseated CPU, tried 1 stick of RAM, until eventually it just quit entirely and would refuse to boot past the Red CPU debug light.

I decided I’d upgrade and replace what I thought would be the problem parts.
I bought a Ryzen 5 5600X, B550 MSI Tomahawk and a Corsair RM750 PSU.
I put these parts in today, same RAM, same GPU, same case fans. It booted, restarted. Only unique item of note would be it would also only boot to BIOS until I turned on the CSM over EUFI option.

Got home after a few hours of it idling, temperatures were all good (they were good with the previous build as well), booted up a game and played for about 10-15 minutes and then screen went black and CPU light was on.

I tried unplugging all SATA drives except my boot, no luck, I tried replacing all cables and making sure they were seated correctly. I tried moving my RAM around and using 1 stick, no dice.
I pulled an unknown older GTX graphics card out of an older system and plugged it in, then pulled the DDR4 ram out of that system and used it as well. First go with the RAM, it booted to BIOS, but then couldn’t go any further as it complained no boot drive was present (which I had unplugged the wrong one). Rebooted with all drives back in and CPU light was back on.

During my tests, I noticed when booting, the DRAM light would turn on momentarily before shutting off and the CPU light would turn on and stay on. On some occasions, the CPU light would remain on for 5-10 seconds before actually booting, but that was only with the 2600X.

So my question is, what am I missing? Tried every new component I could find and it still has the exact same problem. Could my GPU or RAM be failing? Are my drives bad? I’ve tried a new CPU, new mobo, new PSU, different GPU, different RAM and still no luck. What gives?

I want to reiterate, this problem began approximately a week or two ago on a system that had been working fine for 2.5 years. Nothing had been changed on hardware side at that point. Standard Win10.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Includes: 2 SSDs, 2 HDD, no M2. 2 case fans, stock Ryzen CPU fan. Unk name EVGA Semi Modular PSU.
Generically stating the PSU only makes for more assumptions. How old was the unit? You will need to read the sticker on the side of the PSU to identify the model of the unit.

It booted, restarted. Only unique item of note would be it would also only boot to BIOS until I turned on the CSM over EUFI option.
When you migrate an OS drive from an older machine onto a new motherboard, you're advised to reinstall the OS. While you were in BIOS are you able to verify what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? Which two slots are the rams populating on the motherboard?

32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz
Got a link to the ram kit?