Question All of my connected drives turned into RAW

viktorrko

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
Hello,
I'm uprading to a new PC and I'm reusing my storage setup from my laptop [SSD+HDD]. I wanted to clone my SSD to an external (3rd) HDD, then doing a fresh install of windows on the new PC, then bring back my personal data from the external HDD. So I went ahead and created a bootable copy of Miray HDClone on a USB. I succesfully booted into it, and started copying. It got stuck after a while, this happens quite often with this software so I just canceled the copying and started over. It still wouldn't work. I don't remember exactly what I did but I ended up restarting my laptop with the intention of booting into the USB again, but this time my PC wouldn't recognize any booting devices. I though it was the laptops problem because it had problems with setting up boot sequence since i first got it, so I decided to just copy the harddrives on my new PC. When I plugged the drives into my new PC, I wanted to boot into the USB again, with no luck. Booting into the SSD itself also wouldn't work. (there was still a copy of windows on it) So I took the drives and plugged them into another laptop with a USB. To my suprise ALL of the drives that were connected to my laptop at the time (including the USB drive) had their partitions damaged/corrupted and were in RAW format, so I can't access them.

On the SSD I tried chkdsk, Partition Recovery and Data Recovery from MiniTool Partition Wizard, nothing came up. I decided to try recovering the 32GB booting USB first (although there is nothing important to recover) because It's faster than scanning a 500GB SSD. I'm currently running testdisk in the background. I was able to recover some log files from the HDClone using R-STUDIO, as well as some .sfw files (in total they were 9gb in size?). Nothing out of the ordinary came out of the logs, I canceled both of the cloning attempts so nothing was copied. I'll try that on the SSD overnight as well. I have no idea what happened. I have a feeling that all it takes is some kind of stupid simple thing to do. I don't believe ALL of the data on ALL of the drives got corrupted somehow. I didn't format any of the drives, neither I tried writing anything to them, so some of the data should still be recoverable I guess.

Any suggestions on what I can try?

viktorrko

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
If I understand you correctly, all your drives became RAW when you installed them in a USB enclosure. If so, then this could be due to your enclosure being configured with a 4KB sector size. Could you show us the Partitions window in DMDE? This will tell us what is happening. There is no need for a full scan.

https://dmde.com/
Thanks for the reply,
I'm not exactly sure, but I'm assuming you mean this window. Sorry I am not familiar with the software.

EDIT: Yes I did install my drives in a USB enclosure, but my new PC wasn't detecting the SSD as a booting device even though it was connected through a SATA cable. I haven't really had a chance to connect them to a SATA port on a machine thats already running windows though, so I can't check if they are still unusable, even when connected via SATA.
View: https://imgur.com/a/8zm8R15

Last edited:
The sector size is 512 bytes, but it appears that you have reinitialised the drive in GPT mode. It was probably originally partitioned in MBR mode.

If you double-click your 499GB Data partition and expand the $Root, do you see your file/folder tree? If so, then we should be able to repair the partition structure.

viktorrko

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
The sector size is 512 bytes, but it appears that you have reinitialised the drive in GPT mode. It was probably originally partitioned in MBR mode.

If you double-click your 499GB Data partition and expand the $Root, do you see your file/folder tree? If so, then we should be able to repair the partition structure.
I tried double-clicking the 'Basic data partition' (the bottom one) in the same Partitions window, but It won't to anything. It's greyed out, and the 'Open Volume' button is greyed out as well. Same thing with the other partitions.

viktorrko

Prominent
Aug 5, 2019
Yes, infact, it is mostly filled with 0s. No data is recoverable at this point. I also checked the with a HEX editor beforehand. I posted my issue on another forum, and some user suggested that it was caused by a bug in the HDClone software, which caused the TRIM mechanism to trigger and it wiped everything. He also told me there is a possiblity to get your data back by sending your drive to a professional data recovery company, but that is not worth it in my case. I'll wipe the SSD using DISKPART and I'll do a clean Windows install later. Either way, thanks for your help.

If anyone comes across this post, be careful with HDClone bootable media and SSDs.