[SOLVED] All of my games are crashing

Oct 12, 2019
About 2-3 months ago I built a new gaming PC. I'm completely new to building PCs, but I had my father help me with it and it seemed to be running fine. However, I noticed that whenever I booted up any of my games, they would crash at any time from 5-30 minutes.

I looked up similar problems on various tech support forums but they don't seem to fix my problem. I've tried reinstalling drivers, backing up drivers to an older version, updating windows, setting my clock speeds to standard, and many other more specific solutions.

I downloaded MSi afterburner and it doesn't look like my CPU is overheating.

Specs:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU - Nvidia RTX 2060
Motherboard - Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI

If you need any more specs please let me know.

Solution
It looks like I have a lot of Kernel 41 errors dating back to around when I started getting the crashes, so i think that is indeed the problem.
Well now we're getting somewhere. It's not likely your PSU, because it's a good one. Kernel 41 errors generally happen whenever there's an unexpected shutdown.

A common thing for new builders that can cause it is leaving Power & Sleep settings at the default. I have mine set to never hibernate. Some gamers insist it's best to set the Power Plan to High Performance. I disagree, the problem with that is it runs your CPU at max speed all the time, without needing to. This causes extra wear, noise, and heat on the CPU, and can even cause more dust since it's fan is always spinning faster...
Are you on W10, and if so, what build version (1803, 1809, 1903)? If on W10, did you do a clean install, or upgrade?

Also please list exact brand/model of PSU, what video cable you're using (it's quality can matter), and what drive you have the OS on, including whether new or used.

You should also list brand, model, and speed of RAM, and whether you followed the MB manual instructions on what slots to use for dual channel, how to seat it properly, and how to set it to XMP in the BIOS to get it's rated speed.

You should also make sure the MB is mounted via putting a metal, conductive screw in EACH mounting hole to ground it properly.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019
I am using the 1809 W10 version, and it was a clean install onto my SSD (ADATA SX850), which was bought new.

My Power supply is the Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 gold and the video cable i use is Display Port.

I bought my memory third-party off of amazon but they seemed to be new anyways. They were Geil Super Luce RGB Sync 8x2gb and the frequency seems to be 1064MHz

I'm not sure how to find the exact type of displayport cable it is.

There are not any error messages that pop up on screen when my games crash.

Last edited:
I am using the 1809 W10 version, and it was a clean install onto my SSD (ADATA SX850), which was bought new.

My Power supply is the Seasonic FOCUS Plus 650 gold and th video cable i use is Display Port.
Please read the edited content I added and respond. Also, what brand/model of DisplayPort cable? DisplayPort cables have very small wires, and some brands are not so reliable, especially if in use for some time.

The PSU and SSD are fine. Build 1809 used to be less freeze/crash prone than 1903, but since a couple of cumulative updates for 1903 in the last couple months, the last of which addressed a problem with false errors being generated (out of memory, GPU stopped responding), it's been fine in my experience.

When you get these crashes, do you get an error message pop up onscreen? If so, what does it say?

Last edited:
I've updated my specs
Not sure how this applies to what I asked?

For clarification, hardware specs are upgraded, software (OS, etc) is updated.

For future reference, it would probably be a lot easier if you listed all your hardware and OS details like I have in your sig (and of course update it with any change). Then all you have to say is refer to my sig for sys info.

No need to list which is CPU, MB, etc, because anyone capable of such help will know.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019
Sorry, i've also included the answers to your questions. I have made sure that my XMP is enabled in my BIOS and everything is properly setup for dual-channel. I was not able to find the type of displayport I have, and im not sure how to find that out. Finally, there are no error messages that come up after the crashes.

Sorry, i've also included the answers to your questions. I have made sure that my XMP is enabled in my BIOS and everything is properly setup for dual-channel. I was not able to find the type of displayport I have, and im not sure how to find that out. Finally, there are no error messages that come up after the crashes.
OK, thanks, another way to find why a crash occurs is to look in Event Viewer. Just type Event Viewer into the search bar, take note of the time the crash happened, look for the info generated at that time, and post it on the forum.

Sometimes it will say something like Kernel 41 error, which is often a shutdown due to CPU or OS problem. Sometimes it might say something relating to Dx, which is DirectX. Any info can be helpful.

Also, if you ever get any beeps from your system, especially during restarts, take note of how many there are. Most MBs have a list of beep codes that can be translated into what type of problem it is.

If you recall where the parts were purchased, there should be a record somewhere on the site they were purchased at if online, including the DP cable. Some GPUs now come with a DP cable as well, but I'm pretty sure the Nvidia reference FE 2060 doesn't. A test via swapping video cables is fairly common for sorting out any kind of video problems which are hard to diagnose.

Last edited:
It looks like I have a lot of Kernel 41 errors dating back to around when I started getting the crashes, so i think that is indeed the problem.
Well now we're getting somewhere. It's not likely your PSU, because it's a good one. Kernel 41 errors generally happen whenever there's an unexpected shutdown.

A common thing for new builders that can cause it is leaving Power & Sleep settings at the default. I have mine set to never hibernate. Some gamers insist it's best to set the Power Plan to High Performance. I disagree, the problem with that is it runs your CPU at max speed all the time, without needing to. This causes extra wear, noise, and heat on the CPU, and can even cause more dust since it's fan is always spinning faster, constantly sucking in dust.

The better way to assure high performance in games regarding CPU speed, is by using Nvidia Control Panel>Manage 3D Settings>Program Settings, to set a profile for any advanced graphics games. Just navigate to the game's exe, click on the Power management setting, and choose Prefer maximum performance, and Apply. What this does is run your CPU at max speed only when that game is running, then it throttles back down automatically to idle speed when you exit the game.

Here's a fairly good guide on how to troubleshoot Kernel 41 errors.
https://blog.pcrisk.com/windows/12891-how-to-fix-kernel-power-error

Last edited:
Solution
yeah, and i disabled fast startup as well
Disabling fast startup wouldn't help fix such a problem. If anything the slower startup that shows the info that fast startup bypasses would use more resources, albeit a tiny amount though.

Anyways, hopefully this is resolved. Maybe test a few other games if you can, give it a week or two, and if it's still OK, I'd say you can then be sure it's indeed solved.