• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question All of my games suddenly started lagging... help!

chaemin12

Commendable
Jul 7, 2017
I was playing Overwatch for a few hours yesterday, then out of nowhere, my game started spiking. I somehow got through that game, but when I tried to play another round or when I tried to play some League, it would keep spiking. I would maintain a solid 150-200 in overwatch, but during spikes it would drop to 30-50, and it would stay like that for somewhere around 5 seconds, until it goes back to being smooth, then back to laggy. There's some things I know is not the problem:
Temperatures: While in a game, my gpu seems to be around 55C and cpu around 45C, which seems relatively normal.
Dust/Airflow: Opened my PC to see inside, barely any dust to be seen, and my PC is setup in the open.
Drivers/software: Reinstalled gpu drivers through GeForce experience, I also did a factory reset on my computer, reinstalling windows and downloading everything back.
Malware/Virus: I used three malware Softwares: Roguekiller, adwcleaner, and Malwarebytes to check for viruses/malware, nothing was found except for a few chrome extensions such as honey, which I removed just to be sure.
RAM/memory: Ran memory diagnostics, no problems found.

My specs are:
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8 core
PSU: Corsair CX650M
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
one 256GB SSD, one 256 GB HD.

Another thing to note: A very similar thing happened a few months ago, but that time the spikes were less severe and games were still playable. I did nothing and just played the games out for about two weeks, and spikes were gone, running everything at 100+ fps.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS