[SOLVED] All of my USB ports stopped working

Jan 19, 2021
So all of the USB ports stopped working on my laptop (MSI GS72). Both of the USB controllers show up in my OS and in the BIOS, but neither the BIOS nor OS will recognize anything I put into any of the slots. The ports aren’t pushing any power either, as tested by pluging my laptop cooler and phone into them. Semi-related, one of the controllers also has a spot for my SD card reader and that functions perfectly. Nothing else seems to be malfunctioning other than the USB ports.

This started happening after my charger blew a capacitor. One night the charger stopped working, my computer eventually died without me noticing, and I did several troubleshooting steps to figure out it was the charger. Some of these steps included removing the battery and holding down the power button (which required me to detach the cable to one of the USB controllers (the one with the SD card reader)). I also did poke around the BIOS a bit while testing my fixed charger, but I didn’t change anything. I’d like some help trying to troubleshoot this further. I feel like whatever blew the capacitor in my charger may have also damaged something that powers the USB ports, but it seems odd that nothing else was damaged. I feel like there may be something else I am missing and figured I would ask here.

Thanks.

Solution
I have good news; I was able to fix it. I don't know what caused the problem, but I was able to disconnect the battery and hold the power button until I saw a quick flash on the keyboard. I can't remember if I had also disconnected the power supply or not. Afterwards everything worked normally. I'm not sure if it's some kind of setting or feature or if something was reset. Hopefully this can help anyone else with a similar problem.
Jan 19, 2021
I have good news; I was able to fix it. I don't know what caused the problem, but I was able to disconnect the battery and hold the power button until I saw a quick flash on the keyboard. I can't remember if I had also disconnected the power supply or not. Afterwards everything worked normally. I'm not sure if it's some kind of setting or feature or if something was reset. Hopefully this can help anyone else with a similar problem.

Solution