Question All PC games stuttering - ideas?

Mar 25, 2020
Spec;

Ryzen 3700x 8-core
Geforce 1060 6gb
16gb RAM
1920x1080 60hz ASUS monitor
Windows 10

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what might be causing these stutters. It's very noticeable when playing COD Warzone, but i have also noticed it on other games too.

I recently upgraded my PC to the parts above as i used to have the same stuttering on my old build, and after a while of googling to try and fix it, i put it down to it being too old to keep up with latest games (i had an i5 4670k at the time). For a couple of months after my new upgrades, my games ran perfectly, no stuttering. But all of sudden it's started up again, which makes me think it's something on the PC.

I've tried pretty much everything at this point. Drivers all up to date, lowered settings in-game, capped FPS, made changes on windows 10 (disabled game bar etc), reinstalled the games to see if they were the issue. I've tried to isolate apps i.e. changed anti-virus software, exceptioned the games, deleted any new apps, but still the same. I've checked CPU/RAM usage, and all at normal levels, CPU around 50% and memory 60% - nothing seems to be taking up much of that in terms of background apps either. Temps all at normal levels, not overheating etc.

Can anyone recommend anything else i can try?

Thanks

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have a few ideas:
Windows was reinstalled AFTER the upgrade?

Are you relying on any 3rd party software, like Msi's Dragon Center, Corsair iCUE, Asus Aura Sync, or Driver Booster?

Does that monitor support ANY kind of Adaptive Sync Technology?

Mar 25, 2020
I have a few ideas:
Windows was reinstalled AFTER the upgrade?

Are you relying on any 3rd party software, like Msi's Dragon Center, Corsair iCUE, Asus Aura Sync, or Driver Booster?

Does that monitor support ANY kind of Adaptive Sync Technology?

No I didnt do a fresh reinstall of windows as it didnt need one with the amd upgrades. I'd rather exhaust other options before doing that just incase it's something minor I can fix.

No 3rd party software like that. Only the basics I.e. Comodo anti virus, core temp, ccleaner, discord, malwarebytes. I've kept the amount of apps to a minimum.

I dont think my monitor does, link below gives all info on it.

Is there anything I can try to see if it is in fact the monitor causing it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
VS248HR: yep, no frame sync present.
Cap fps to 60.

No I didnt do a fresh reinstall of windows as it didnt need one with the amd upgrades.
So you're saying you didn't carry over the C drive after swapping motherboards?
When the user does upgrades, and changes the motherboard, there are older drivers and registry files that Windows is SUPPOSED to flush out on it's own, but it doesn't do so reliably.
That's why it's recommended to do it manually, to rule out the possibility.

Mar 25, 2020
VS248HR: yep, no frame sync present.
Cap fps to 60.

So you're saying you didn't carry over the C drive after swapping motherboards?
When the user does upgrades, and changes the motherboard, there are older drivers and registry files that Windows is SUPPOSED to flush out on it's own, but it doesn't do so reliably.
That's why it's recommended to do it manually, to rule out the possibility.

Okay, so a fresh windows install is on the cards that's fine. I'll do that once I've tried a few more things.

Is there a way to find out if the monitor is the cause without upgrading it? I've tried capping in-game fps to 60 to keep in line with the refresh rate, but still the same old stuttering.