News All-Powerful RTX 3090 Graphics Cards Dying in Amazon's New World Beta

Having second thoughts about buying a used mining gpu? Now you'll have second thoughts about buying a gpu used for gaming 😂
Or even buying one of these cards new. If running a particular game can cause them to fail in large numbers, then there's likely something wrong with the design. A properly functioning piece of hardware shouldn't fail as a result of running software on it. Even if that software is inadequately tested or has major bugs, it's not normal for that to result in an immediate hardware failure.

And while these cards might be covered under RMA now, there's no telling whether other software might do the same and cause them to self-destruct a few years down the line, when they are out of warranty.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Can people even expect a replacement GPU under warranty in a reasonable amount of time? I thought I'd seen somewhere before that given the ongoing GPU crisis, even people submitting RMAs for these cards were being put on waitlists just to get a replacement for a card they already had to go through hoops to obtain in the first place. I could be wrong though.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Can people even expect a replacement GPU under warranty in a reasonable amount of time? I thought I'd seen somewhere before that given the ongoing GPU crisis, even people submitting RMAs for these cards were being put on waitlists just to get a replacement for a card they already had to go through hoops to obtain in the first place. I could be wrong though.

No, and they may not get a replacement at all for a 3090. Nvidia seems to be positioning the 3080Ti as a 3090 replacement, and is now announcing a Super line, that will likely replace the original Ampere cards. They may end up having to accept a check for their loss, which won't pay for a replacement card with scalpers prices as high as they are.

On a brighter note, a lot of people will likely be submitting claims to ebay to get their money back from the scalpers for selling a defective product. If a scalper sold a lot of cards, they're going to be on the hook if ebay decides against them.

Reactions: GenericUser
Apr 1, 2020
It has to do with the fact Amazon has been shoddy and neglected to implement a properly hard coded frame rate limiter, because people are posting that the in game frame rate lock of 60fps doesn't work. We've seen this in many games, mostly in menus, which is why AMD and nVidia introduced frame rate limiters. The 3090 just has a massive frame buffer so that doesn't act like a limiter.

It is called a BETA for good reason, the problem is Amazon isn't recognizing it's a coding bug, likely because they don't want to be slapped with lawsuits, but it's the same kind of thing we've seen countless times before, and serves as a great reminder to ensure you have your frame limiter in your driver's global settings set to slightly above your monitor's maximum refresh rate unless you're running certain benchmarks.

Reactions: Joseph_138

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Putting aside Amazon's dilettant attempt on becomming a game developer powerhouse,
It was a very ballsy move for NVIDIA to change both manufacturing process and architecture in the single generation at once. It was bound to come with problems we've been seeing.
It wouldn't be the first time for NVIDIA, and with RTX cards being as rare as unicorns, it may be a hidden blessing. With the numbers out there, there's little chance of history repeating itself like about a decade ago when 8800 series cards were dying left and right, and broke more one camel's back, BFG Technologies which were in many ways EVGA of the 2000's were among the more prominent victims.

Can people even expect a replacement GPU under warranty in a reasonable amount of time?
In the UK, I'm aware of people returning their GPUs to their retailer, the retailer processing it as a return under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 rather than a warranty return, and providing a refund of the original purchase price less a deduction for use (under UK law, the retailer is ultimately responsible for a defective item, and a deduction for use is allowed; warrantees are a separate contractual obligation between the provider and the consumer, and a lot of manufacturers don't have a UK RMA base and offload their warranty responsibilities to the retailer).

Reactions: GenericUser
Lately many games are been pushed out to the public without been tested properly in a close enviroment. About two months ago Frontier Development launched a new DLC called Odyssey for Elite Dangerous (a game that my friends and I played a lot). The DLC was sold as a "finish product" but was in fact an Alpha. Odyssey adds "space legs" and change the whole game graphics, maps, worlds, enviroment, etc. it was/is soo bad and poorly optimized that even looking at the ingame space station menus would set your GPU to over 92% utilization.

They lost a lot of players since that day, they now delayed the console launch, and they keep coming with new (real money) game items to try to hide the mess the DLC is. The fixes are in progress but with every update/patch they release they break a different thing and they have to patch again after a few hours.

I don't remember Crysis making GPUs to die (but I never payed much attention to it anyways :) ), and that was the most demanding game out there for a long while. But we will have to wait and see if someone can come to a the real reason this is happening now.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Lately many games are been pushed out to the public without been tested properly in a close enviroment. About two months ago Frontier Development launched a new DLC called Odyssey for Elite Dangerous (a game that my friends and I played a lot). The DLC was sold as a "finish product" but was in fact an Alpha. Odyssey adds "space legs" and change the whole game graphics, maps, worlds, enviroment, etc. it was/is soo bad and poorly optimized that even looking at the ingame space station menus would set your GPU to over 92% utilization.

They lost a lot of players since that day, they now delayed the console launch, and they keep coming with new (real money) game items to try to hide the mess the DLC is. The fixes are in progress but with every update/patch they release they break a different thing and they have to patch again after a few hours.

I don't remember Crysis making GPUs to die (but I never payed much attention to it anyways :) ), and that was the most demanding game out there for a long while. But we will have to wait and see if someone can come to a the real reason this is happening now.

As a (somewhat recent) fellow Elite player, I'm glad I skipped Odyssey. Everything I've read about it reflects what you've said. My major concern is when they eventually go to roll the "old" (Horizons) game systems into the new version they created for Odyssey. After that there will be nowhere left to retreat in an attempt to escape the bugs and bad design decisions with the new graphics system, UI, and so on.

As a (somewhat recent) fellow Elite player, I'm glad I skipped Odyssey. Everything I've read about it reflects what you've said. My major concern is when they eventually go to roll the "old" (Horizons) game systems into the new version they created for Odyssey. After that there will be nowhere left to retreat in an attempt to escape the bugs and bad design decisions with the new graphics system, UI, and so on.

Indeed, thats the moment we are all afraid of!. A real pitty how they launched such a horrible product just to meet some financial goal. I been trying to keep an eye on the after launch developments and I go online in odyssey every now and then but its still full of bugs and the performance does not meet any decent standard. Specially when you played other games that looks and play way better than odyssey and requires a more humble system to run. Horizons planet looks way better than odyssey ones it will be really sad to lose those landscapes.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It has to do with the fact Amazon has been shoddy and neglected to implement a properly hard coded frame rate limiter, because people are posting that the in game frame rate lock of 60fps doesn't work. We've seen this in many games, mostly in menus, which is why AMD and nVidia introduced frame rate limiters. The 3090 just has a massive frame buffer so that doesn't act like a limiter.

It is called a BETA for good reason, the problem is Amazon isn't recognizing it's a coding bug, likely because they don't want to be slapped with lawsuits, but it's the same kind of thing we've seen countless times before, and serves as a great reminder to ensure you have your frame limiter in your driver's global settings set to slightly above your monitor's maximum refresh rate unless you're running certain benchmarks.
The drivers/firmware should prevent the card from burning itself out, regardless of what you're running (assuming you haven't done anything to circumvent the built-in protections). It's best practice to implement some sort of frame rate limit in menus so that you don't waste a bunch of power and generate a bunch of heat/noise rendering a menu at 1000 fps, but if that ends up physically damaging the card that's on Nvidia (and/or AIB manufacturer), not the game. Running your GPU at 100% utilization, with nothing but built-in power/frequency/temperature limits governing it, isn't a bad thing; it's pretty typical anytime you're running a demanding game. It'd be pretty silly for anyone to try to sue Amazon over this.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and RodroX
It has to do with the fact Amazon has been shoddy and neglected to implement a properly hard coded frame rate limiter
No, this can't really be considered Amazon's fault. Properly designed hardware should not allow software to destroy it. It's up to the hardware and its drivers to ensure that it will remain operating within safe limits, not software developers. Realistically speaking, over 99% of games released to date have never been tested by their developers on a 3090. The card only came out within the last year, so obviously nothing released before then was tested on it. It was also arguably overpriced even at launch, and cards from its series have experienced poor availability in general, so one shouldn't expect 3090s to be in the test systems of most game developers even now.

The drivers/firmware should prevent the card from burning itself out, regardless of what you're running (assuming you haven't done anything to circumvent the built-in protections). It's best practice to implement some sort of frame rate limit in menus so that you don't waste a bunch of power and generate a bunch of heat/noise rendering a menu at 1000 fps, but if that ends up physically damaging the card that's on Nvidia (and/or AIB manufacturer), not the game. Running your GPU at 100% utilization, with nothing but built-in power/frequency/temperature limits governing it, isn't a bad thing; it's pretty typical anytime you're running a demanding game. It'd be pretty silly for anyone to try to sue Amazon over this.
And you posted pretty much the same thing while I was writing this. : P

TRENDING THREADS