All 'Secure Boot'-Enabled Windows Devices May Be Permanently Vulnerable Due To 'Golden Key' Backdoor, Say Researchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
""A backdoor, which MS put in to Secure Boot because they decided to not let the user turn it off in certain devices, allows for Secure Boot to be disabled everywhere!""

So does mean we can truely disable all the datamining and spyware in Win 10 ? Maybe it is finally safe to upgrade. Just waiting on a nice open source utility.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Friends don't let friends run Win8/10...

No, I don't care that MS came out and said it doesn't apply to desktop machines...

My trust meter with MS is at: -3

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
one key feature (not bug) shown, 99 still remaining
(and, why am I having trouble posting here? had to logout relogin and still brings me to the next article, witcher3 when clicking comments on the same tab)

kungpaoshizi

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Are you using Chrome Virtualban? I'm using IE (because my work is stupid and won't use Edge) and I have no issues.
Otherwise this really isn't news. They would say the same thing about a POS system that has no ports and it would qualify because you could break it open and connect to jumpers inside.. There's not a single machine that has un-exploitable setup, in existence, when it comes to physical access.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
And let this be an example of why putting a backdoor in any encryption protocol is a bad idea and anyone that suggests such a thing needs to be strangled with mouse cable. ;)

Get shutup10

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
This is just insane. WHY did they include this in the code to begin with? I could understand on DEVELOPMENT versions of Windows 8-10. But on other versions? No or you should be required to intentionally turn this functionality on!

jazzy2945

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
So to take advantage of this you need to have physical contact with the device and have administrator rights (in other words able to sign in with a password) to use the backdoor. In other words be able to get to a bank vault and have the combination to unluck the safe. Not impossible but very difficult to do.

jazzy2945

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

Unfortunately, Linux is not the answer has many. I have been hearing Linux this and Linux that for the past 20 years or more and still it has not gain more than 1% of the desktop market. I have been playing with Linux for many years and never found it satisfying to what I do and need to do. Why complicate my life when Windows cover my needs? Beside if Linux ever become very popular it will become the target of hackers, same as Windows. Lately there have been found many bugs and backdoor to Linux because at the end nothing is in-vulnerable, you just take what works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.