All the iPad Pro Rumors So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I can't imagine why Apple would release a larger tablet with iOS. Who exactly would they be targeting? It would need to have OS X to be marketed to power-users or for productivity, which is what the MB Pro line is for. Also, even if the A8 doubles performance of the A7, it's still nowhere near the Core series. They would have to use Haswell or Broadwell for this device if it runs OS X.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I can't imagine why Apple would release a larger tablet with iOS. Who exactly would they be targeting? It would need to have OS X to be marketed to power-users or for productivity, which is what the MB Pro line is for. Also, even if the A8 doubles performance of the A7, it's still nowhere near the Core series. They would have to use Haswell or Broadwell for this device if it runs OS X.
Yes, and even if they made some sort of iOS & OSX hybrid, it would break compatibility with either OSX or iOS applications, unless they can somehow stuff in both an x86 & an ARM CPUs, or do some sort of emulation or somesuch. Both options have huge drawbacks. I'm guessing this is a similar case as the smartwatch -rumors.

SyllabicGeek

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Will they be offering an iBackpack to carry around this ridiculously HUGE tablet? This is an epic fail. Apple misses the mark yet again.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Will they be offering an iBackpack to carry around this ridiculously HUGE tablet? This is an epic fail. Apple misses the mark yet again.
Considering:1. They created the multi-billion dollar touch tablet market and had every electronic manufacturer copying their products2. They have the most apps designed for tablets, ie. developers rather designed tablet specific apps for iPad versus any other tablet on earth3. They have the most popular tablet model, and that's been true the past 4 years4. They generate the most revenue and profits from tablets then any other company5. They have pushed technology in tablets more than any other company: first viable touch tablet with retail traction, retina, 64-bit cpu, mini has the best screen for its size, etc.How exactly is Apple missing the mark again when they've dominated and every other company even after 4 year is trying tooth and nail just to get a slice from their pie?

NinjaNerd56

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I think an iPad Pro, if it exists, will be an A8 package and will run IOS.Apple will not build a 3rd OS around some hybrid version of IOS/OSX. The cost / benefit ratio won't work.Screen? Whatever they can afford to hit the target build cost.Smart Cover > Smart Case > Smart Shell (case w/ keyboard) - pretty obvious evolution.Note that Apple gives away iWork now...just like Microsoft Surface with bundled Office, Skype. Chicken / egg here.Lastly, I work with Fortune companies every day and iPads are by far the most used tablet and absolutely displaces laptop use. Every day, I hear things like "yeah, I have a laptop, but I do 80% (or more) daily work on my iPad." Apple took a while to develop the platform AND the thinking to move into business versus content consumption, but they are nearly there. That's why I think a Pro will appear and will be more...and less...than people expect.

dwdesign

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Rumor has it from Digtimes that Intel is trying to cut a deal with Apple for their Atom x86 Bay Trail 22Nm So Cal MPU to be used in Apple tablets which would probably be capable of both IOS and OSX.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
So this sounds like it could be setting up for a device similar to the surface pro 2: Apple following suit by beefing up specs and OSX?

SyllabicGeek

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014

1. You cannot "work" on your iPad. Stop lying. Android tablets like the Asus Transformer or the Surface from microsoft are work tablets.

2. Android makers have already reached a level Apple only dreams of.

SyllabicGeek

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014

1. Apple did not create anything. They repackage existing technologies and buy all their parts rather than create them.

2. Apple is the one who copied from already existing tablets. Apple has also stolen over 15 android features in the last 3 years. Apple is now copying screen size.

3. Sorry little buddy but Android has just as many apps and even better, most are free. They work as well or better.

4. Popularity means nothing. Most people are dumb consumers. That is a fact. But people are waking up. Apple market share has only been going down. Single digits within 16 months.

5. retina? lol you mean a hd screen like existed before and after them. PPI is also higher on android phones and tablets. 64 bit? You mean the normal progression that happened in computers? 64 bit is almost 100% useless with one gb of ram. BTW, android has 64 bit baked in. Android was, is and will always be ahead on ios. The first mini had the WORST screen on the market and now with their upgrade, they are still not the best. where do you get your information? apple forums?

6. Apple is 15 percent market share!!!! dominating? LOL

Bnbnbnbn

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Syllabic, why lie on so many facts above? Your sentence construction is predictable. Each sentence using a mixture of hyperbole, aggessive assertions, FUD, rhetorical questions, but also some blantant absurdities ("copying screen size"). Are you a pro spam machine.

SyllabicGeek

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Syllabic, why lie on so many facts above? Your sentence construction is predictable. Each sentence using a mixture of hyperbole, aggessive assertions, FUD, rhetorical questions, but also some blantant absurdities ("copying screen size"). Are you a pro spam machine.
Apple has said in the past that the iPad screen size was perfect and they would not do a smaller or bigger version. They said the same about the iPhone. Then Apple lost most of its market share and is now copying everything that android phone makers are doing. Just the facts little buddy.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
To Apple fans, it is like this:

When Apple successfully created a popular market, anyone who tries to follow and come up with similar but ultimately different products (different OS, size, features etc etc) are deemed to be COPYING from Apple. It does not matter Apple itself copied someone else, such as iPod, which copied the MP3 players that came before it. Yes, to Apple fans, iPod is not a copy because the OS, size, features etc etc are different. But anyone who tries to compete with Apple is automatically deemed as a copycat. It is no use arguing with them.

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Who cares about idiots in here? As long, it looks slick and light. I like it. MS had they changed back in 2001 with Windows Tablet XP, but it looked like a brick to me. That why it failed....

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

I get what you're trying to say, but he does have some solid points amidst the hyperbole and FUD. Apple revitalized a preexisting tablet market by taking it in a different, limited direction that was right for the time [the tablets and convertibles of the time were just too bulky because they were forward looking devices before their time]. Giving credit where it's due, if Apple hadn't done this the tablet market almost guaranteedly wouldn't have accelerated and become what it is now.

Apple IS taking features from Android. It's still very much its own OS, and what they're taking is not stealing, but rather normal idea diffusion that occurs in a fast paced tech market, but nonetheless it is happening.

Comparing the tablet apps of iOS and Android is kind of useless. the iPad has more tablet specific apps sure, but part of that is because the design philosophy behind Android apps is one of responsive adaptibility. IE: the Evernote app is a single app, but adjusts to the reported screen size in various ways depending on the device. Because of this, Android doesn't NEED tablet specific apps as much as the iPad does.

Most apps are free on iOS too, so I'm not sure what he's getting at there, though having a market of apps good enough that people are willing to spend money isn't exactly a bad thing either, so I figure the 2 stores are a wash.

I have to give him the retina argument. When the first retina iPad came out, it was pretty impressive [though simultaneously irksome being at such a weird resolution. 2048x1536? really?] But the iPad mini came out next to Android tablets with better specs and a better screen. The $400 second gen iPad mini is coming out into the same situation. The $230 Nexus 7 has nearly the same PPI, and people love its screen. And the Nexus 10 [though getting a bit long in the tooth] is rocking a 2560x1600 display.

While iOS is 15-20% marketshare, the iPad is over 60% tablet market share, so that was indeed complete FUD.

SyllabicGeek

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014

1. According to IDC, Apple had 33.8% of the tablet market at the end of 2013.
http://www.businessinsider.com/tablet-market-share-chart-2014-2

Not 60%! They have a 16% in smartphone share.

These numbers are going down every year.

2. ipad mini had a crappy low resolution screen when other mini's were sporting HD

Turns out "retina" display is whatever Apple says it is, regardless of PPI. Declining PPI numbers in recent Apple products did not stop them from slapping a "retina" label on everything but the kitchen sink. Guess we'll have to wait for the next iPhone to have the sink included... LOL

Bnbnbnbn

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
1. According to IDC, Apple had 33.8% of the tablet market at the end of 2013. http://www.businessinsider.com/tablet-market-share-chart-2014-2As defined by units. Not surprising when there is intense competition for non premium tablets. Note how of the top six brands, only Apple is above the smaller players. The generic brands are selling like hot cakes. A $150 tablet is a great purchase.If you'd care to look at revenue or gross margin, though the picture is much clearer.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Didn't Samsung just do this? I'm sure Apple will release this thing and it will be heralded as the most innovative innovation to ever be innovated. Having said that, technology is now allowing these ginormous tablets to be somewhat feasible. I tried out the Samsung Note Pro the other day and was pretty impressed with just how lightweight and portable it was for being so big. If it had some sort of keyboard dock, I would actually strongly consider getting one.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
1. According to IDC, Apple had 33.8% of the tablet market at the end of 2013. http://www.businessinsider.com/tablet-market-share-chart-2014-2Not 60%! They have a 16% in smartphone share.These numbers are going down every year.2. ipad mini had a crappy low resolution screen when other mini's were sporting HD
market share isnt everything. apple's sales increase every year, but android sales increase more. the thing to remember is, that android market includes many, many players, while the ios market has one. market share goes down, but sales still go up. considering how crap most lower end android phones are, i doubt that apple is too concerned, as those consumers probably couldnt afford an iphone in the first place.and again, with the mini, resolution isnt everything. the mini's display quality was superior to just about "everything" in the android market at the time. not by huge bounds in some cases, like the nexus 7 screen, but a decent improvement over just about everything, quality wise. even on the resolution note, many sub 10 inch android tablets, of which there were not that many, had 1024x600 screens, even LOWER res than the mini screen, and they were downright horrible screens to boot. NOTHING in the sub 10 inch catagory had an HD screen at that point. the 1280x800 of the n7 was considered high end for that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.