all this bickering is pointless..

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Anyone notice that the largest threads are always the ones that put Intel against AMD and vice versa?

I've long since given up trying to convince anyone.. I say that everyone should sit back, relax and let the market decide who wins. Nothing you or I say here in this forum is going to affect either Intel's or AMD's bottom line. Kudos will go to the better CPU maker.

Why not get back to helping people who have problems?
Oh, and if anyone asks which CPU to buy, try to keep it objective ok? As an exercise, everyone pro-Intel try to say something good about the Athlon and something bad about Intel, and all the AMD folks do the reverse. Try to see it from each other's shoes.

Ok, I'm going to try to nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand.. I'm extending this post to cover the DDR vs Rambus camps as well. I'm a self admitted Rambus hater. Besides, this isn't even the right forum for it.

Now, lets all relax and watch some DragonBall Z :)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kurokaze on 04/17/01 09:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DurocShark

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
I agree... It never made sense. I guess it's the same as what company makes the best cars, or cameras, or whatever. Those kinds of discussions get really heated.

I currently have a Celery 266 o/c'd to 400. It's about time to upgrade. What CPU am I gonna get? The one that gives me the best performance at the time I go to buy. It may be a P4 and it may be an Athlon. All depends on what's out when I go shopping. I've used AMD chips, Cyrix chips, and Intel chips. And, of course, my 6510 in my old Commie 64. :)

But I'm not going to buy an Intel chip just 'cuz it says Intel. And I'm not gonna buy an AMD chip just 'cuz it says AMD. Those are just printed names on the part. As far as I'm concerned, it's a part that will get me a complete computer.

Sigh.

I think I'm gonna go load Turrican up on my C=64 and its 1571 drive. :-Þ

G

Amen. I bought an AMD computer because it was cheaper, and got better performance in the games I play.

P4 with RDRAM is just rediculously(Sp?) priced for what i or (i assume) the average computer user does.

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Rambus does have it's good points!!! But until it comes down in price (it will sooner or later) it raises the system price abit higher. When the new Intel chips come out(northwood) and the new AMD chip comes out...then we can start to see what Rambus can do against DDR... In theory Rambus should beat a DDR system... If it doesn't make no doubt they will be trying until they get it right.

AMD is growing up, they still have a lot to learn... They picked one of the worst fights....Intel! (not saying intel is evil, just that they happen to be frikin huge)

We all know that the P4 was rushed, hopefully we all know it is going to be an awesome chip when it is truly finished.

I work with both chips everyday... They both have their pitfalls (well AMD has a couple more than Intel but Intel has some big pitfalls too).

All the chips we fight over are great... think of yesterday when your X86 processor hit 100Mhz. Let's compare that with our modern machines...They did cost the same at some point!

Mhz does matter, it is what sells.

Duallies do matter, any real business computer([-peep-] has to be done and done now) will have atleast a duallie. Home users it won't matter that much...Raid0 helps over duallies for a home user or gamer...

There is alot of true smart guys out here let's not fall into being scum bags...we don't have to insult people to get a point across.

!!Warning!! Some benchmarks are not VALID, depends on what side you are on!

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
If Rambus was really that good I would embrace it, however the company's business practices and ethics are in question and personally right now I would love to see them go down.

Anyway, this isn't the right place to argue this.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Their business practices are just fine, and their RAM outperforms the competition. Personally, I'd rather have the fastest.

-Raystonn

-- The center of your digital world --

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
In reply to: "Their business practices are just fine" I say: My ass they are just fine!

In reply to: "and their RAM outperforms the competition" I say: In the P4? I don't think so!

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"My ass they are just fine!"

I don't know about your ass, but I have no problems with Rambus.

"In the P4? I don't think so!"

I've already shown RDRAM to have lower latency and higher bandwidth. There's nothing more to say in that regard.

-Raystonn

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I don't know about your ass, but I have no problems with Rambus.
Maybe you should. Businesses may not operate by ethics, but Rambus has brazenly defied both ethics and antitrust standards. They did more than cross the line, they took a flying leap over it and fell off the other side.

I've already shown RDRAM to have lower latency and higher bandwidth.
See my earlier post.

Kelledin
"Happiness is a loaded weapon."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"Rambus has brazenly defied both ethics and antitrust standards"

That has yet to be determined in a court of law. I also fail to see how this has anything to do with the technical specifications of RDRAM.

"See my earlier post."

I see it, and I don't see anything of interest. Are you discussing your mention of memory modules connected in series? This imposes a penalty of about 5ns of latency. RDRAM continues to have superior latency even with this additional penalty.

-Raystonn

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I'm discussing the <i>chips</i> being connected in series--say, for example, eight chips per RIMM. Even if there's only one RIMM, each chip on it adds latency.

Kelledin
"Happiness is a loaded weapon."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Yes, each chip adds a negligable amount of latency. The total amount of added latency for all the chips in a couple RIMMs is about 5ns.

-Raystonn

TRENDING THREADS