All three storage units not recognized in bios

Matthew_135

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Hello all. First off, long-timer reader but first time poster. I am having trouble with two SSD and one HDD not being recognized by my bios. My specs are listed below. All three storage units were working pe anrfectly fine 3 days ago. At that time I started noticing I was having issues with my computer turning on; it would only turn on sometimes. After playing around for a bit I was 99% sure it was my PSU so I purchased a new one. I plugged in the PSU today and reconnected everything else. I turned on the computer and the os did not boot up. I checked the bios and it only recognized one of the Crucial SSDs (the one without the OS) and the HDD. I then switched the sata and power cables from the working SSD to the non-recognized SSD. No luck. I switched it back and now the other SSD was not being recognized by the bios. I then switched cables with the HDD and the same thing; not recognized and when I switched it back to the HDD that was no longer being recognized. I did the CMOS jumper trick to no avail. The only thing bootable that will start is the optical drive and it starts with the same cables I've tried for everything else. Any advice would be appreciated.

Specs:

Intel(r) Core (TM) i7-4790k CPU @ 4.00GHz
ASRock z97
Corsair 8192MB 800 MHz DDR3-1600 x2
nVidea GTX 980
Crucial MX100 2.5 SSD 512 GB
Crucial m4 SSD 2.5 128 GB
Hitachi 1TB SATA 3.0 RPM 7200RPM
EV3A 700B 700W Bronze Power Supply
ASUS DRW-24B1st

Solution
Hey there, Matthew_135.

While reading the thread, the first thing that came to mind was the PSU, until I saw that was you first assumption as well. It really sounds like there might be an issue with the mobo. You could try updating the motherboard's BIOS/UEFI if you can do that via a flash drive, to see if the issue still persists. However, If I were you, I'd get in touch with the motherboard manufacturer's customer support for more info. Another option would be to take your PC to a computer service shop and get it fully diagnosed so that you're 100% sure of what is causing the problems.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, Matthew_135.

While reading the thread, the first thing that came to mind was the PSU, until I saw that was you first assumption as well. It really sounds like there might be an issue with the mobo. You could try updating the motherboard's BIOS/UEFI if you can do that via a flash drive, to see if the issue still persists. However, If I were you, I'd get in touch with the motherboard manufacturer's customer support for more info. Another option would be to take your PC to a computer service shop and get it fully diagnosed so that you're 100% sure of what is causing the problems.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution
I recommend you reset your Cmos, some boards have a jumper a button and other ways I can't really tell ya on that board with the lack of model you provided.

The universal way, shutdown the PC, unplug it from that wall or toggle the switch, Hold the power power button for 10 sec to drain all remaining power, Open the side of the tower and locate the button cell battery. It may be easy to see, it may be under the graphics card, so you may have to pull the graphics card out, Once you locate the battery, pop it out for 60 seconds. Pop it back in and put your graphics card back in if you have to, flip the switch or plug it in, and power the system, see if the drives are now in the bios.

If not, It would have to be the motherboard for sure. The only way to know for sure is to take the drives out and use another PC and test. If the drives are ok, I'd contact ASRock if the board is under warranty and proceed with an RMA.