[SOLVED] All types of games started crashing suddenly, no idea what's causing it ?

Apr 26, 2021
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum even tho I browse it regularly. I created my account just so I can start a thread because I have never been or felt more helpless in my life when talking about PC issues. I welcome and thank everyone who finds time to read what I have to say and maybe suggest their ideas.

I don't even know where to start so I will just mention the most important stuff and let you guys ask me any further questions which I will try to answer. So the issue I got started exactly on 18th of March 2021. At that time AC : Valhalla started randomly crashing all the time. I have put 50 hours in Valhalla beforehand and no problems. Suddenly the game couldn't run 10-15 minutes without crashing. There were instances where the game crashed 60 seconds into launch. At first I thought it was the game so I tried other games. Soon I found out that literally every other game crashes too. I put 15 hours into Horizon : Zero Dawn without a single crash but then the game started crashing every few minutes like Valhalla. I completed Dying Light on my older PC 2x no problems. Here it was crashing - not as often but it was. Borderlands 3 I played for a week 6-8 hours a day with no problems and today I have problem playing 10 minutes without the game crashing. The issue really escalated and started to be concerning when games like Path of Exile and CS:GO started crashing. These games are anything but demanding on the system...

What I found out so far : When I check Windows Event Viewer I discovered that every crash goes like this - 20-70 errors that happen at the SAME time ( same minute and second ) followed by a Warning saying either "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped working and has recovered successfully" or "Application Borderlands3.e has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware". It's one or the other always.

Temporal fix : I found a way to stop the crashes but only temporarely. I read some forum and followed it's advice and downloaded MSI Afterburner. I downclocked the Core clock by -100, Memory clock by -502(the max) and Power Limit to 90%(from 100%). This worked and I was able to play anything 8 hours a day for a week. Then the same started happening again and nothing else worked - even further downclocking. I have never ever tried overclocking or changing anything. This was the only thing I started to mess around but only after the crashes started occuring.

I am really hopeless and from what I gathered I am suspecting that the problem lies within PSU but I am not rly a hardware or software guy so I am not sure. I also have screenshots of the crashes - every game gives a different error message or no error message at all but the result is always the same. Hard crash of the game straight to the desktop. No BSOD. No system shutdowns or restarts. I also have video of Borderlands 3 displaying some weird artifacts on the screen which are not part of the game. Like blue,red, yellow and green "orbs" flickering across the screen before the game crashes.

Please feel free to ask me any additional questions and I will provide with what I can.
My specs are - Intel Core i-5 9600KF(6 cores) 3,7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070, 16 GB RAM and my PSU is Vero L2 500W.

Thank you for any and all responses again.

Solution
Your Graphics card under maximum full gaming load depending on the game settings used can pull 215w ~ 228w all by itself so IMO, your power supply is not adequate. After researching your power supply it only is capable of supporting a max load of 492w, you need more leeway than that. I suggest a minimum power level of 600w and a better range 700w and good quality brand name power supply.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-superno...-x1-650w/p/1HU-00J7-004V5?Item=1HU-00J7-004V5

This is my suggestion of power range from my own experience the more power the power supply is capable of handling the better off your system is, as in most cases the power supply can literally cruise with the machines load very seldom ever...
Your Graphics card under maximum full gaming load depending on the game settings used can pull 215w ~ 228w all by itself so IMO, your power supply is not adequate. After researching your power supply it only is capable of supporting a max load of 492w, you need more leeway than that. I suggest a minimum power level of 600w and a better range 700w and good quality brand name power supply.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-superno...-x1-650w/p/1HU-00J7-004V5?Item=1HU-00J7-004V5

This is my suggestion of power range from my own experience the more power the power supply is capable of handling the better off your system is, as in most cases the power supply can literally cruise with the machines load very seldom ever kicking into high cooling mode.

Hopefully this helps you. Ryan

Reactions: Tonorious
Solution
Apr 26, 2021
Thank you a lot Ryan. I was hoping you'd say something like this so it only strengthens my suspicions for the PSU. I was very afraid of people telling me that the actual GPU is dying or something because I can't afford a new one but PSU is not that big of a deal. Even tho my dxdiag shows my card is RTX 2070 I think it's even some OC version and when I googled adequate PSU for it - it said minimum of 650 and 700 would be best so that's my next step.

I have set up a meeting with a PC guy and he said we can test whether it's a PSU problem by connecting an external PSU lets say of 700W. I really hope this will solve the problem once and for all. Thank you again for your answer :)

Really appreciate it. Have a nice day. Anthony

Reactions: 4Ryan6