[SOLVED] All USB devices disconnecting and reconnecting

Dec 26, 2021
This only happens while I am gaming, or I am assuming doing something that will put either the GPU or CPU under heavy load. The PC will freeze and all USB devices will disconnect and reconnect, sometimes more than once, like two three times in a row. I just installed a new PSU, the old one died. Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Mobo Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC,

cpu is amd ryzen 7 5800 x,

RAM is Gskill ripjaw 32gb x2 16 ddr 4 3600 ,

ssds 1 is Samsung 860 Evo 2 tb, Kingston sv300

PSU corsair rmx series rm750x 750 watt, 80+ gold certified

GPU MSI 2070 Super

Last edited:
Solution
In my own case the system was constantly "ding/dong" X2 for a disconnect-reconnect.

As far as troubleshooting, of course the easiest and cheapest thing to do first is a new mouse/keyboard and as you already mention, trying different ports. I did that and found no resolution. I happened to have another compatible system on hand and was able to use those parts to narrow down the motherboard as the problem.

It could be possible that the failing PSU caused some damage?
You don't say specifically but did this problem exist before the PSU failed or afterward?
If so, have you checked all connectors and everything within the case/mobo connections to be sure nothing is loose?
Dec 26, 2021
In my own experience I have seen this be the result of a bad motherboard and/or a bad CPU.

In this case my first point of curiosity would be in regard to the (old) PSU and how it failed.

Not too sure, I would say it was just old. I got it back in early 2016. Also replaced every other part, maybe it couldnt handle it? I think it might be the motherboard, whats happening now that ive noticed is ( I checked to see if everything inside was set and thus moved the usbs around) when it freezes, the keyboard will now stay on, but the mouse and my controller will D/C. Also I plugged my controller into a port in the back and Im pretty sure its just not working.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In my own case the system was constantly "ding/dong" X2 for a disconnect-reconnect.

As far as troubleshooting, of course the easiest and cheapest thing to do first is a new mouse/keyboard and as you already mention, trying different ports. I did that and found no resolution. I happened to have another compatible system on hand and was able to use those parts to narrow down the motherboard as the problem.

You don't say specifically but did this problem exist before the PSU failed or afterward?
If so, have you checked all connectors and everything within the case/mobo connections to be sure nothing is loose?

Solution
Dec 26, 2021

I was having freezing problems before I installed the new PSU but I dont think anything with USBs. What would happen is the PC would freeze with everything still lit up and I wouldnt be able to power it off unless I unplugged it. Power button was unresponsive. I assumed it was a PSU problem so got a new one and a few days ago I turned my PC on and it turned off, turned it on again and it turned off again. So I installed the new PSU and it didnt turn off, I assumed everything was good, clearly not. Could it maybe be a bios update or something? (I have the most recent bios, maybe revert?)

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Ok, just to be sure I am understanding.

The system was working fine with the old PSU, no issue with USB. The system started exhibiting freezing issues and would go completely unresponsive where the power or reset button wouldn't do anything. You had to physically turn off the PSU or unplug in order to get it to power down.

You obtained a new PSU, got that installed, the system works fine as far as powering up and down, no freezing, but now your USB devices are intermittent whether plugged into the front or rear panel ports?

Is this correct?

Dec 26, 2021
Ok, just to be sure I am understanding.

The system was working fine with the old PSU, no issue with USB. The system started exhibiting freezing issues and would go completely unresponsive where the power or reset button wouldn't do anything. You had to physically turn off the PSU or unplug in order to get it to power down.

You obtained a new PSU, got that installed, the system works fine as far as powering up and down, no freezing, but now your USB devices are intermittent whether plugged into the front or rear panel ports?

Is this correct?

Yes this is correct, however it will freeze for 2-3 seconds at a time while all the USB devices are disconnecting/reconnecting. Not like before though, where it was a permanent freeze.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
So, first off I would advise against updating BIOS until you can figure this issue out. This is making certain assumptions about it already being on a correct version since it does operate to some degree. Typically, under the wrong BIOS version it wouldn't be working at all. If you have one of these intermittent issues while updating it could brick your mobo.

Are you monitoring temps on the system? You mention this only happening under load.

Have you double checked every connection to be sure everything is in the right place and tight?

Check Device Manager and make sure there are no yellow triangles out beside any of your hardware.
Check Reliability History and Event Viewer in particular under the Critical and Error headings and to a lesser degree Warning/Information/Audit. It is often helpful to have another web enabled device handy to go through the error codes and see if you can glean anything from that.
In the case that this nets no results it might be worthwhile to consider a fresh install. It could be that the intermittent powering down/freeze on the prior problem might have corrupted something. You could try the sfc/dism commands prior to this as well.

In the case that none of the above work you could try to remove components from the case, set the motherboard on it's box and connect only the least amount of hardware for it to boot. (Check the CPU while it's apart this far to see if a pin is bent) CPU/cooling/1X RAM/GPU and see if it will reliably post and go to BIOS. Your keyboard and mouse should work here.

Slowly and methodically, reconnect your OS drive and boot. Put in another stick of RAM, boot. Add storage drives back, etc. and see that it works at every part of that process.

If everything is working with it 'breadboarded' check to be sure all your case standoffs are in the proper spot. Reinstall to the case and check operation without connecting any of the headers and then slowly go through those as you reconnect to see if/where the issue replicates.

Dec 26, 2021
Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 100a
Parameter 2: ffffb986aaf9d960
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19043
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19043.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: LKD_0x144_CONTEXT_ERROR_AFTER_SET_DEQUEUE_USBXHCI!TelemetryData_CreateReport_VEN_1022_DEV_43ee_REV_0000
Server information: aaf73964-f2a9-44b8-bc61-0a76649693cc

This is an error I got.

Its weird, I moved my USBs around and it hasnt happened for a while. Theres still Like 5 USB ports on the back and 1 in the front that just wont work with my controller.