All USB Ports Suddenly Stopped Working

BigBadBeef

Admirable
hmmm, USB ports don't work and you probably got a USB keyboard, I wonder why it won't work... You should probably clear CMOS, could be just static charge buildup, if that doesn't work, reinstalling USB drivers is the next step.

You also need to entertain the notion that you USB controller might be fried.

Maurdekye

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
How could I do either of those things if I can't use a mouse or keyboard or access my bios?

Also, I'm fairly sure my USB controller isn't fried, as some components still light up as though connected to a power source, like my keyboard and bluetooth adapter.

Maurdekye

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I ended up hitting the reset cmos button on the back of my PC, and I was able to go through the bios and reset all my settings with my keyboard and mouse. But they still don't work after my computer posts.

Maurdekye

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
Well, I booted into Linux and all my USB devices worked perfectly, so bad USB drivers is very likely the cause. However, I'm still facing the problem where I'm unable to actually log on and use my computer, and as such cannot get to my device manager where I would be able to update said drivers. I already tried removing all of my usb devices and trying every port with my mouse, and not a single one would respond while I was using windows.

BigBadBeef

Admirable
Linux and Windows handles USB a bit differently, if an USB device is broken, Linux would probably work normally. As a matter of fact, Linux has been reported to being so awesome to successfully run on systems with so badly broken RAM that wouldn't even boot windows anymore.

Also try booting in safemode, see what that does. Maybe in safemode you will be able to remove the drivers. If you REALLY don't want to format, you can always see if you can get PS/2 mouse and keyboard and use these to remove the drivers.

There are basically 2 methods of getting drivers off your computer. One is that you simply remove all motherboard software you installed and reinstalled them again, but if you still have generic plug&play drivers, you must go into device manager, and uninstall USB drivers there by right-clicking.

Maurdekye

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
Fortunately, I was able to create the drive and boot from it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like I can boot into safe mode using it. I could possibly try "refreshing my pc", but I don't have a windows 8.1 boot disc handy, or an extra usb drive. I tried using system restore to a point about a week ago when my usb devices were still working, but it didn't seem to work. I'm going to consider reinstalling my os.

Maurdekye

Reputable
Jun 27, 2014
I ended up doing an os "refresh" from a recovery boot menu, which seems similar to a reinstall except that it covers everything that you described to look out for; ie., it keeps all my files in their place and automatically makes a list of programs to reinstall.

prabhakar_4

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Follow the step’s to fix the problem of usb port..
Scan for hardware changes…
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
Click your computer.
Click Action, then Click Scan for hardware changes.
Check the USB device to see whether it is working.
Restart the computer then try with usb device.
if your problem not solve so you check this link for more information about this issue i hope this helpful for you .... https://goo.gl/MV9Gq8[/url]

prabhakar_4

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016
Follow the step’s to fix the problem of usb port..
Scan for hardware changes…
Click Start, and then click Run.
Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
Click your computer.
Click Action, then Click Scan for hardware changes.
Check the USB device to see whether it is working.
Restart the computer then try with usb device.
if your problem not solve so you check this link for more information about this issue i hope this helpful for you .... https://goo.gl/MV9Gq8[/url]