All you Gamers! What type of power protection do you use?

Ray Charles

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Where I live the electrical system is not the best and I think I need either a UPS, line condition (voltage regulator) or at least a surge suppressor. But I notice the affordable UPSs have limited wattage and the other are price. What do you guys recommend? (links to website would be appreciated)

If you get a good PSU, its filtering and APFC will take care of the noise in the line so you dont need to worry about that too much, but i still recommend having a good surge suppressor, it will also help to reduce the noise in the line a bit and can save your system if something really bad happens to your power grid. This one from belkin is the highest rated one on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107131

houdinii

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
what makes a good surge protector anyway iv just been using one from walmart that said surge protector on it. are they all made the same or no.

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I have some $60 surge protector thing I got from best buys a while back. As said I don't know what makes one better then the other but someone bought this one for me so it was free.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
be careful, a UPS does not put out a true sine wave voltage like the wall, it puts out a more hybrid wave. For many UPSs the power coming from your wall right now (as bad as it may be) may still be better for you electronics than to have it "filtered" by a UPS.

My protection consists of a Tripp-Lite Iso-bar that cleans the power and adds a surge suppression circuit, and then into a another surge suppressing power strip. I then of course have the power supply's filtering and APFC.

Its good enough that during lightning (insert gasp here), all the lights will flicker drastically, but the computer never flinches. During an overnight storm I've even heard the capacitors in my PSU discharging the remaining extra power coming through the line.

houdinii

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
huh not bad looked up the iso bar 6' cord 4 plugs ups with surge 40 bucks and they go down to 20 for 2 outlet direct plug ins.

not cheap but well worth it.
whats the difference between the ibar4 and the isotel the ibar looks better but its cheaper lol.

Ray Charles

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008

Which model of the Tripp-Lite Isobar exactly do you use and where can I find it at a reasonable price online?

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I have the HT2210ISOCTR, a flat panel power center. Here is the link to their website for this model number: http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=829&txtModelID=3499

My version does not have ethernet and co-ax protection, just 2 outlets.

The isobar features a 5100 joule surge protection over the isotel's 2600. It also has $50,000 extra insurance for connected devices.

I received my isobar as a gift from my brother, I'm not sure where the best/cheapest place to buy would be. It appears newegg has several different models instock ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2100310495+50001898&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=495&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc= ). I'm also not sure what you consider a reasonable price.

foxmulder13

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Ultra X 4 PSU ( 850 found at Tigerdirect) is what i use and A good Surge suppresor...I use a Phiilips surge made for Computers found at WalMart ! Never had a problem