News Alleged Benchmarks for Intel's Unannounced Core i3-N300 / N305 CPUs Appear

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Something can only be termed 'energy efficient' if it performs well for the amount of power consumed. This is something that remains to be seen, as actual TDP (or whatever we're calling it these days) doesn't appear to be mentioned here.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Something can only be termed 'energy efficient' if it performs well for the amount of power consumed. This is something that remains to be seen, as actual TDP (or whatever we're calling it these days) doesn't appear to be mentioned here.

AnAndTech wrote an article testing the E cores by themselves. Now these are 12900k E cores so they are likely clocked a lot higher than the N-300s, but their max output was 48 watts (not TDP, TDP is not power consumption so irrelevant from a Performance Per Watt metric). My guess would be in the 35 watt range which given the performance doesn't make a great PPW metric just based on rough calculations.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...hybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/4

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Interesting, they do indeed seems like 8E cores.

I would say they are still perfectly fine for every word/excel and internet surfing. No info on power consumption but they should be very low. Great for low cost laptops.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
With the Alder Lake E-cores being roughly comparable to 6th gen (Skylake) cores, at less than half the power, when pushed to maximum clocks. When clocked back, efficiency will increase.
With the 4 E-core clusters and individual P-cores being roughly equal area, it would be interesting to see how this compares to the larger Alder Lake Pentiums and Celerons (1P + 4E cores), particularly for lightly threaded & bursty client workloads.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Something can only be termed 'energy efficient' if it performs well for the amount of power consumed.
It's going to perform like the various E-core only benchmarks you can find for Alder Lake i9, such as the one @JamesJones44 cited. According to that, I think it deserves to be call energy-efficient.

these are 12900k E cores so they are likely clocked a lot higher than the N-300s, but their max output was 48 watts (not TDP, TDP is not power consumption so irrelevant from a Performance Per Watt metric). My guess would be in the 35 watt range which given the performance doesn't make a great PPW metric just based on rough calculations.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...hybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/4
That was an AVX2-heavy workload. Intel could cap the new i3 variant much lower and it would perform very well on general-purpose workloads. On the SPECbench page of the same article you linked, the 8 E-cores ran 47.5% and 51.5% as fast as the 8 P-cores / 16-thread configuration on integer and floating-point workloads, respectively. That's actually very impressive, considering they would've done it using only about 20.1% as much power (or less).

Moreover, we know that the Alder Lake i9-12900K clocks its E-cores well above their peak-efficiency point. So, we should expect performance to scale down well to lower power thresholds. Like, you could probably halve power while still maintaining at least 70% of the performance.

So, I'm definitely looking forward to these. For me, the looming question is will there be a socketed version, or are these BGA-only?

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would say they are still perfectly fine for every word/excel and internet surfing. No info on power consumption but they should be very low. Great for low cost laptops.
Intel's current solution for low-cost laptops/chromebooks is 4x Tremont cores (i.e. previous generation E-cores). This should be a marked step up from that, not least because it adds AVX/AVX2, which Tremont lacks.

The point about low-cost laptops is interesting, because this is the first time Intel has marketed an E-only CPU with i3 branding. Previously, I think they only them as Pentium Silver or Celeron Silver, for the consumer versions. The i3-branding suggests the Gracemont-based successors to those products will continue to be 4-core, since i3 is a higher-tier product than Celeron or Pentium.