Alleged iPad Mini Mockup Photos Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Oh snap... unless another Chinese company makes and patents it first, like they did with the iPhone 5 leak a few months back

Sorry Apple.... what goes around, comes around. =]

G

ok now im just confused.... this makes no sense at all.

scary part is people are gonna buy this shit thinking it can make phone calls... its like a iphone that cant phone...

clubsaucekiller

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
[citation][nom]appleneedstodie[/nom]ok now im just confused.... this makes no sense at all.scary part is people are gonna buy this shit thinking it can make phone calls... its like a iphone that cant phone...[/citation]
Actually they won't, because unlike Android and the stupid and shitty 5"+ monstrosities they call "phones", an Apple phone looks like a phone and an Apple tablet looks like a tablet.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Question is if this will have LTE and therefore will be banned from being sold like the iphone 5?

Apple already lost the LTE battle to HTC for it's "new" ipad and a complete import ban is impending.

The iphone 5 is even worse of since it will use global LTE standards for which Samsung holds a large percentage of the necessary patents. With US domestic LTE it's only HTC and Nokia that holds the neceesary patents, and while Nokia happily licensed it's intellectual property to Apple to fill it's fast drying coffers, HTC (and certainly not Samsung) has no incentive to license it's intellectual property to Apple.

Therefore, Apple = no LTE.

cowasaki

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]saturnus[/nom]Question is if this will have LTE and therefore will be banned from being sold like the iphone 5?Apple already lost the LTE battle to HTC for it's "new" ipad and a complete import ban is impending.The iphone 5 is even worse of since it will use global LTE standards for which Samsung holds a large percentage of the necessary patents. With US domestic LTE it's only HTC and Nokia that holds the neceesary patents, and while Nokia happily licensed it's intellectual property to Apple to fill it's fast drying coffers, HTC (and certainly not Samsung) has no incentive to license it's intellectual property to Apple.Therefore, Apple = no LTE.[/citation]

The LTE patents are standards dependant patents. They were offered up by the owners to form part of the standard and as such they cannot be blocked. The only thing that is in question is the cost per use which cannot be too much or the court will block it. Non standards dependant patents such as swipes and things like that are a different thing completely. The iPhone5 is never going to be import banned.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
is it just me or is this new apple announcement even getting MUCH less attention and excitement as it used to a year ago? A year ago, there would be 5-10 apple articles a day on toms and tv news would be mentioning the event, but this time theres barely anything except patent wars o_O

Might apple be falling already?

Oh what an innovative design. I was thinking it would look a lot different than the current iPads/Pods/Phones. Was I wrong?! It's really exciting there's no difference whatsoever. I just can't wait to see the front of it and how different that will be.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]Oh what an innovative design. I was thinking it would look a lot different than the current iPads/Pods/Phones. Was I wrong?! It's really exciting there's no difference whatsoever. I just can't wait to see the front of it and how different that will be.[/citation]

No idea what you mean? It will be completely different. There's as extra row of app icons.

/sarcasm

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]cowasaki[/nom]The iPhone5 is never going to be import banned.[/citation]

Yes. It will. It's violating several patents not owned or licensed by Apple. And it's not just on LTE. B&O also have a patent for making a 2-tone brushed aluminium case for a "mobile device".

What's interesting--well, maybe interesting is too strong of a word--is that until now, iPhones have been 16:10 (8:5, if you must) and iPads have been 4:3. Both got a resolution doubling but remained at the same aspect ratio. Now, it looks almost certain that the new iPhone is gonna have a 16:9 (or very close to it) aspect ratio, and if this leak is legit, the smaller iPad will either be 16:9 or 16:10.

It seems odd to me that they would suddenly shake that up now...I wonder what prompted them to do it?

brownsophie

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
It is reported that the ipad mini will be released on Oct. 23, and The iPad mini chose to officially list before Win8 release, apparently with some purpose, just as the iPhone5 release a few days ago Nokia released Lumia920/820 those WP8 devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.