Alleged iPhone 5 USB Cable Confirms Miniature Port

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I can't believe Apple continues to use these proprietary ports for their iDevices instead of moving to standards like microUSB. Is the concept of charging royalties for every iPhone accessory so appealing that they'd sacrifice consumer convenience for it? Kinda goes against their purported philosophy of making everything easy to use for the end-user.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]idroid[/nom]Apple changing their connector is almost as stupid as Microsoft eliminating the start button,[/citation]

Changing the connector is expensive to the consumer as you have to buy new cables; or even new accessories. The missing Start button (dumb move) is just an inconvenience that some 3rd party will most likely fix with some -free- utility.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Apple won't switch to microUSB because the dock connector does more than just connect to a PC and charge the device. It also acts as an audio and video output which other devices use a mini-HDMI port for instead of a single connector for both. Apple really likes the idea of having just one port and there's no standard that would allow them to do all they want to do so they roll their own. I'd personally prefer 2 ports but ultimately it's their choice.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Change connector make millions of people buying new chargers radios and adapters for there cars. There is enough room for the old connector but apple greedy so they changed it.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
"While the exact benefits of the smaller connector are still unknown"

The benefits are the millions it will make apple in licensing fees. The old connected was thin enough to not impact form factor decisions (though a smaller connector could help a *little"

eternalkp

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
this is so stupid.
this new connection is retarded
how about the fact that numerous devices such as speakers, vehicle connection cannot be used because of this port...what is apple thinking
is this the best apple could come up with as a new idea?
my iphone 4 will be my last apple product i will ever own

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]Apple won't switch to microUSB because the dock connector does more than just connect to a PC and charge the device. It also acts as an audio and video output which other devices use a mini-HDMI port for instead of a single connector for both. Apple really likes the idea of having just one port and there's no standard that would allow them to do all they want to do so they roll their own. I'd personally prefer 2 ports but ultimately it's their choice.[/citation]

There's no reason you can't stream video and music over USB. Though maybe not high def video.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]There's no reason you can't stream video and music over USB. Though maybe not high def video.[/citation]

Video has proven pretty difficult to stream due to the massive amount of bandwidth required. That's why Thunderbolt has a dedicated channel for video.

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Wait, I'm no expert here since I haven't had an iphone for a while, but doesn't that mean you have to throw out all your old docks and stuff? That kinda sucks.

xenobreak

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Melchior[/nom]Kinda goes against their purported philosophy of making everything easy to use for the end-user.[/citation]

It does seem silly but i think it sort of makes sense... if you go into the store (or online) to purchase an accessory for your Android phone you have like 10 brands for each item all with different designs and specifications. If you don't know exactly what you are looking for it could get confusing. Apple on the other hand, while they do have third party brands that make stuff, mostly sells their own stuff. Its much easier to just go in and grab the correct accessory if you can just get the Apple branded item. That way you know it's the right thing and it will work. More expensive though >.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Changing the connector is expensive to the consumer as you have to buy new cables; or even new accessories. The missing Start button (smart move) is not an inconvenience that some 3rd party will most likely try to fuck it up by some -free- piece of shit utility. With any luck Microsoft will be able to block any app like that from even installing.[/citation]

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Relax gentlemen and look closely at all the leaked pictures.

Doesn't the connector and socket on the leaked look familiar? It's no accident. Compare them to the connector on the back of Apple TV2.

Yup. That's right. It is indeed a MicroUSB type B connector. It just have added connectors on the outside of the plug but any MicroUSB type B charger can be used to recharge the "new line" of Apple products.

It has been an absolute necessity for Apple to make this switch before 31/12-2012 when their dispensation to sell mobile devices with proprietary charging connector runs out in the EU.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
To add to the above. Given the white molding it could also be a micro-USB type A connector normally reserved for upstream devices. This would make sense giving the dock connector context, and that it appears to have 7 connectors on the outside of the plug, on both sides. Giving a total of 19 pins when including the 5 pins for the micro-USB connection.

It hardly matters if it's one or the other though as the "new line" of Apple products has a microUSB type AB receptable and thus accepts both types so as to being in accordance with the EU standards.

halcyon

Splendid
I think its asinine to believe that Apple should keep the same 30-pin connector forever. Technology moves forward. I'm glad to see Apple continuing to move forward...even if I can't afford to get all their latest toys.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Changing the connector is expensive to the consumer as you have to buy new cables; or even new accessories. The missing Start button (dumb move) is just an inconvenience that some 3rd party will most likely fix with some -free- utility.[/citation]
I'm sure that when we moved from horses and carriages to the automobile with its internal combustion engine it was an expensive switch to some as well. ...and some, short-minded, folks couldn't see the benefit. However, I have a feeling that most think it was a good move. While this is not as beneficial and certainly not as dramatic...progress...is progress.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]I'm sure that when we moved from horses and carriages to the automobile with its internal combustion engine it was an expensive switch to some as well. ...and some, short-minded, folks couldn't see the benefit. However, I have a feeling that most think it was a good move. While this is not as beneficial and certainly not as dramatic...progress...is progress.[/citation]

Flashback: damn the industry for switching from 5.25" to 3.5" floppy disk! How dare they force me to use something smaller!

mll0576

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]There's no reason you can't stream video and music over USB. Though maybe not high def video.[/citation]

[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]Video has proven pretty difficult to stream due to the massive amount of bandwidth required. That's why Thunderbolt has a dedicated channel for video.[/citation]

Android supports HDMI over mUSB, so yes one standard connector CAN do it all, Crapple is just being greedy again

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]I'm sure that when we moved from horses and carriages to the automobile with its internal combustion engine it was an expensive switch to some as well. ...and some, short-minded, folks couldn't see the benefit. However, I have a feeling that most think it was a good move. While this is not as beneficial and certainly not as dramatic...progress...is progress.[/citation]

I this context it would be same as saying that the last coach maker finally switched to making cars with combustion engines.

Apple is the very last company to embrace the well established microUSB standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.