News Alleged Legion GeForce RTX 4090 Pictured as More RTX 40-Series Specs Emerge

g-unit1111

Titan
Hard to believe people are getting excited for such a large, expensive, and power hungry card.
I just have to LOL at a single gfx card sucking up 600+watts of power and then paying upwards of $2k for the privilege to use it.

Not to mention when the thing inevitably snaps and breaks, because it lacks proper structural support (and I've heard of this happening with the 3XXX series), you're gonna have a bad time.

Reactions: purple_dragon

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
That old saying, a fool and his money......

Hey, freedom and all that.

The only reason to buy these is to show your buddies that you have more money than brains.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That's practically a 5 - 6 slot card(need some space for breathing room).
M-ITX builders are going to get shafted further with their options...

Hold up - I bloody said it in the following thread, and some people didn't believe me:

Reactions: bigdragon

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
It's truly insane how large and power hungry GPUs are getting! At this rate by the time they get to the 10XXX series, they'll be as big as a house and consume as much power as Clark Griswold's house in Christmas Vacation.
No it isn't. This card is only a triple slot. I had a triple slot configuration back in the 90's when running Voodoo2 SLI plus a 2d graphics card. Quad slot SLI was pretty common for years. I ran a few of them myself. If you went triple or quad SLI you were looking at 6 or 8 slots and 1000W. Getting the level of performance we're going to get from a 4090 in a triple slot 400-500W configuration is light years better than we had in the past.

Reactions: UnCertainty08

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
That's practically a 5 - 6 slot card(need some space for breathing room).
M-ITX builders are going to get shafted further with their options...
It's triple slot. What are you going to put under it to block air flow? There are no multi GPU configurations any more. It looks like the 4090 doesn't have the NVLink connector at all. A sound card or LAN card is not going to block the air flow to a card that large.

If you're trying to put a halo card in a SFF, it's been years since that's been practical with an air cooler. Water cooling is basically a requirement.

Last edited:

cirdecus

Distinguished
I don't understand why they would drop the memory bandwidth down to 256 from 384 on the 4080 and 4070 models? They're showing only the 4090 with 384. The 3080's had 384. I'm also having a hard time believing their going to have that big of a core count between the 4080 and 4090. There was barely a 10% difference in the 30 series.

UnCertainty08

Reputable
Sep 9, 2020
No it isn't. This card is only a triple slot. I had a triple slot configuration back in the 90's when running Voodoo2 SLI plus a 2d graphics card. Quad slot SLI was pretty common for years. I ran a few of them myself. If you went triple or quad SLI you were looking at 6 or 8 slots and 1000W. Getting the level of performance we're going to get from a 4090 in a triple slot 400-500W configuration is light years better than we had in the past.

YES!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's triple slot. What are you going to put under it to block air flow? There are no multi GPU configurations any more. It looks like the 4090 doesn't have the NVLink connector at all. A sound card or LAN card is not going to block the air flow to a card that large.
Triple fan cooler, sure. And maybe 3.5 slots deep, but there are no fractions(0.25, 0.50, 0.75) to slots when it comes to usable PCIe devices, thus round up to four slot.
One should leave some space for air, as the axial fans on open air coolers have a harder time drawing air in tight spaces compared to the radial ones on blower coolers. That's at least one more slot just for fan breathing room.
5 slots, but more space beneath the cooler is better.

Some people also put capture and sound cards beneath them.

Power supply shrouds affect gpu cooling - the perforated ones do too, though the effect is lessened. The further the fans are from those shrouds, the more access to air the fans have from other sources - like the front and back.
Look at NZXT's H200. Exactly 2 slots of space; dual slot cards will be flush with the psu shroud. It's not going to get any air from the front or the back. But right beneath that:
-psu blocking like half the perforations
-psu cables
-cable management bar(removable) blocking more perforations
All that in the way. It'd be hard to see a high powered, dual slot, open air cooler doing well there - you'd have to put it on a loop or gpu AIO/CLC.

If you're trying to put a halo card in a SFF, it's been years since that's been practical with an air cooler. Water cooling is basically a requirement.
SFF has been one of the best form factors for cooling due to case fans' proximity to components.
People just need to take time planning their component selections, however limited. If some of the current trends(like glass and solid panels) died off, it would have more flexible options.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800