News Alleged Raptor Lake Core i7 Beats AMD Ryzen 9 5950X in Geekbench Leak

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Yay Intels next gen unreleased architecture and processors are faster than AMD 1.5 year old soon to be last gen architecture and processors!!

Didnt see that one coming!! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

dehjomz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yay Intels next gen unreleased architecture and processors are faster than AMD 1.5 year old soon to be last gen architecture and processors!!

A cheaper Core i7 demolishing the once mighty R9 5950x that used to cost over $800 ? And doing so with less threads and a lower cost?

Impressive. Competitive forces are at play and that's good for the end consumer.

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
No fair. I was not able to buy my 32GB 5200 DDR5 Corsair memory at $350 MSRP (half that now) until February. My Alder Lake 17-12700K will be superseded in less than 8 months.

Thats good for us. Intel's performance core are bigger and more dense than a zen 3 core, plus this new core i7 packs extra 4 efficient cores (vs AlderLake), so no really a huge surprise here (not considering how AlderLake peforms vs Zen 3 cpus).

All left here is too see independent reviews that shows the same numbers and to check power consumption and temps. Thats when you have the full picture of a product.

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
Doesn't look too shabby honestly. About 190 points more than the 12700K in single thread, so about 10% more? That would be in line with what Intel said so far I guess. Would have liked to see more, but oh well. This is an unoptimized platform, too, it can still go up from there.

Hard to compare with Ryzen 7000 when we have no info on that yet, unfortunately. But from what we know about that, it looks like AMD might be slightly behind or comparable in single thread and might, as always, have a slight advantage in multithread. But without more info on Ryzen 7000, it's hard to say. To me, the comparison with Alder Lake is frankly more interesting and that one looks really good. It is quite a good result in how well it does against a CPU with more threads, though, especially when comparing the single thread performance.

No fair. I was not able to buy my 32GB 5200 DDR5 Corsair memory at $350 MSRP (half that now) until February. My Alder Lake 17-12700K will be superseded in less than 8 months.
Intel pushed out a new, slightly better generation every year since forever, what rock did you live under? It's not as if that 12700k will be tradh overnight, and you can always resell and get a 12700k instead...

Only alleged Raptor Lake i7? So what are the chances this is actually genuine? I'll take it with a VERY LARGE pinch of salt (several kilos).
Very good when taken into account everything known so far, including results from actual QS chips. No need to be that skeptical. I recommend actually reading the article.

Only alleged Raptor Lake i7? So what are the chances this is actually genuine? I'll take it with a VERY LARGE pinch of salt (several kilos).
As long as intel doesn't come out and tells us all the exact SKU names the article writers have to call it alleged because intel might decide to make it an i9 or keep it i7 but change the number or whatever.
It's 100% sure this CPU exists and will come out, the only salt is on what they will call it.

dehjomz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Raptor Lake will be replaced by Meteor Lake/Arrow Lake sometime in 2023-24. There’s always something new around the corner.

KyaraM

Admirable
Raptor Lake will be replaced by Meteor Lake/Arrow Lake sometime in 2023-24. There’s always something new around the corner.
And let's always remember, your current chip will still be good enough regardless, no reason to bandwagon to the new shiny stuff for 99% of people. There are people out there still using Ryzen 1000s and 3000s, or even i7-3770k's, after all, doing completely fine.

Reactions: dehjomz

dehjomz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
And let's always remember, your current chip will still be good enough regardless, no reason to bandwagon to the new shiny stuff for 99% of people. There are people out there still using Ryzen 1000s and 3000s, or even i7-3770k's, after all, doing completely fine.

Indeed. Skylake 6700K still does well in many games. Maybe not the absolute highest frame rates as compared to Golden Cove (which is a beast), but still can push high frame rates with modern GPUs.

That being said, however, it needs to be said: if Intel and AMD keep putting the pedal to the metal in terms of generation IPC uplifts, then upcoming Lakes from Intel (and Zen cores from AMD) will offer a much more compelling reason to upgrade vs older lakes. For example, the performance uplift from Skylake to Kabylake was minimal. But the uplift from Alder Lake/Raptor Lake to Meteor Lake/Arrow Lake should be much more pronounced. Guess we have to thank AMD’s competitiveness with Zen 2, 3, and the upcoming 4 to inspire Intel to finally innovate again, like it was doing back with the 486 and Pentium.