Allinone (Fisherprice) Watercoolers Vs Air

A lot of posts ask about allinone or sealed unit loops (Or as I call them, Fisherprice's My first watercooling )
like the corsair H100 and other well known variants/brands, well heres a Toms comparison test that shows just what the W/c guys have been saying for a long time,
High end air beats low end water, if you want watercooling performance, listen to the words of John Osbourne
Go hard or go home.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/h100i-elc240-seidon-240m-lq320,review-32598.html

Just spreading the good word hehe
Moto

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
"You buy a heatsink based on the price and performance. Generally speaking, water coolers are just a rip-off and you get overcharged for them, but more and more they are being priced at reasonable levels new, and especially used or on sale(CM Poseidon 120m, for example, the Zalman LQ320, the H50/H60)"
Have you used any of them? There is a reason there is so many ppl trying to sell them off cheap, I wonder why?
"Low End $20 or Less (Hyper 212+, Enermax ETS-40)"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=enermax+ets&x=17&y=9 $34 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=hyper+212&x=0&y=0 $32 "The only heatsink that really comes with decent fans right now is the Thermalright Silver Arrow with TY-140's"
This statement makes me laugh, the fans move marginally more air than the NH-D14 fans and the be quiet dark rock pro 2 has same with 1 dBA quieter

"Fisherprice's" Good one! Moto :lol:

Since your thread has mostly turned to argumentative dribble, I 'd like to make a couple of points that are not dribble!

Regarding Big Air, there's a new player on the field!

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/thermalright_silver_arrow_sb_e_extreme_review,1.html

Regarding CLC water coolers, and any type of water cooling where a water block replaces the stock air cooler.

Provisions have to be made to be sure airflow that was being supplied by the stock air cooler over the motherboards voltage regulators is replaced.

The water block supplies no airflow over those critical elements of motherboard operation, that were being cooled by the stock cooling fan, they have to be kept cooled or premature motherboard failure is just a matter of time.

**Since your thread has mostly turned to argumentative dribble, I 'd like to make a couple of points that are not dribble**

I always knew it would spark some controversy but how many time do You, Rubix, Lutfij, myself and others have to explain the high air/low water deal?
Nice to have it on a table we can link so I thought I'd just put it at the fore of folks minds who may be considering allinones on tight budgets,
folks can argue the points themselves but physics is physics :)
**The water block supplies no airflow over those critical elements of motherboard operation, that were being cooled by the stock cooling fan, they have to be kept cooled or premature motherboard failure is just a matter of time**
Unless you mod a fan over your waterblock like I did, most wouldn't think of that though
Moto

Since your thread has mostly turned to argumentative dribble, I 'd like to make a couple of points that are not dribble!

Regarding Big Air, there's a new player on the field!

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pag [...] iew,1.html

Regarding CLC water coolers, and any type of water cooling where a water block replaces the stock air cooler.

That's not really a new cooler, that's just a Silver Arrow with an LGA2011 mount.

I did not say it was a new cooler, I said, "Regarding Big Air, there's a new player on the field!"

It's definitely more than just a 2011 mounting addition, so that makes it a new player!

Difference being quite obvious the original with Thermalright's TY-140 73cfm fans and this new release I linked, with Thermalright's TY-143 130cfm fans.

So that makes it a new player on the field, since it's cooling performance has improved with the new cooling fans.

Any of the big air coolers that are capable to be run in passive mode, can have the cooling performance improved by changing to higher cfm cooling fans, some of us have already done that ourselves.

It's nice to see these companies realize that and begin releasing higher performing models on their own, now if they'd just do something about some of the ugly fan colors!

Regarding your comment about tower coolers not cooling the VRs on the motherboard is not correct, some of the fans actually protrude below the cooling fins allowing air circulation below the fin level.

Even if they don't protrude below, they pull high enough cfm turbulence around the socket to cool the VRs just fine!

But when you replace any airflow with a water block, the generated airflow of the air cooler is gone!

Unless you mod a fan over your waterblock like I did, most wouldn't think of that though

My point exactly some provisions have to be made to supply the airflow lost cooling the VRs, even if it requires a purposely mounted fan to do the job.

I created a cross airflow front to rear using a 120mm Silverstone air penetrator to focus air over my memory modules and motherboard VRs, coupled with the 200mm blowhole on top exhausting air, the VRs are cooled nicely.

Directional flow as opposed to general flow means better cooling for them, means more Clocking headroom, I have a 120 on the rear of the Cpu as well as the aforementioned waterblock modded one, I want my chip and mobo as cool as I can practically get it :p (Immersion in LN2 not an option hehe)
Moto

Not an option, but you wish you had that as an option. :whistle:

I would really like to try LN2 OC, but I just don't have the $$ for it.

The best cooling for the M/B VRs is adding them to the cooling loop which adds heat and limits overclocks.

We all know that's not and option with 99% of the CLC coolers unless it's expandable.

Some directed airflow over the existing heat sinks or increased cross airflow over them is the best alternative in keeping them cool.