[SOLVED] Allocate more vram to designated vram

opb

Aug 28, 2021
Hello!

I am trying to allocate more vram to "designated memory" in order to up my graphics settings while playing games(rdr2).
Currently the total available is 6GB, dedicated 2GB, and shared 4GB. It's a GTX760.

I tried the two methods(bios settings, registry editor) I found online, but the value of the "dedicated video memory" didn't change.
As for the BIOS method, I couldn't find any option to tweak the vram allocation.
The registry editing method, I followed all the instructions, rebooted my pc, but nothing...

Is there anything else I can try?
Thank you in advance.

opb

Solution
Hi, thank you for the input.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4771 CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
64-bit

So even though it says "Total Available Graphics Memory:6GB" I can only use the 2GB on my GTX760?
Is there a way to use some of the memory for video games from the "Shared System Memory: 4GB" ?

Thank you.

"Shared" memory is very, very slow. If you're out of VRAM, the GPU is going to take whatever slow resources it needs.

There's no magic fix here. Your only option to improve performance from the GPU is a better GPU. This is a midrange GPU from 2013 that is slower than the minimums suggested by the publisher.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello!

I am trying to allocate more vram to "designated memory" in order to up my graphics settings while playing games(rdr2).
Currently the total available is 6GB, dedicated 2GB, and shared 4GB. It's a GTX760.

I tried the two methods(bios settings, registry editor) I found online, but the value of the "dedicated video memory" didn't change.
As for the BIOS method, I couldn't find any option to tweak the vram allocation.
The registry editing method, I followed all the instructions, rebooted my pc, but nothing...

Is there anything else I can try?
Thank you in advance.

opb
Your GTX 760 has its own VRAM. 2GB.
It does not 'share', you can't change it.

Full specs of the rest of the system?

opb

Aug 28, 2021
Your GTX 760 has its own VRAM. 2GB.
It does not 'share', you can't change it.

Full specs of the rest of the system?

8.00 GB RAM
64-bit

So even though it says "Total Available Graphics Memory:6GB" I can only use the 2GB on my GTX760?
Is there a way to use some of the memory for video games from the "Shared System Memory: 4GB" ?

Thank you.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
8.00 GB RAM
64-bit

Thank you.

"Shared" memory is very, very slow. If you're out of VRAM, the GPU is going to take whatever slow resources it needs.

There's no magic fix here. Your only option to improve performance from the GPU is a better GPU. This is a midrange GPU from 2013 that is slower than the minimums suggested by the publisher.

Reactions: Archaic59
Solution