Allow the computer to turn off this device is greyed out

Jun 14, 2018
Hi there, for the longest time now the option, allow the computer to turn this device off has been greyed out for my keyboard and mouse in device manager. For the life of me I cannot get it to not be grayed out. And it's also probably the reason why my mouse and keyboard aren't going to sleep. The lights are always on. I tried a few steps that I read on the internet but none have worked. Thanks for your help. I've always thought it had something to do with the generic keyboard and mouse.

Asus M5a78l-m/usb3 bios ver. 2101
Fx6300
Evga Gtx1050 ti
8gb DDR3 HyperX
1tb Seagate hhd
Non ErP powerspec 430 watt power supply model # PS 430WF
Generic keyboard and mouse.

Hello jasonpf112382

I was wondering if you already tried completely removing the keyboard or mouse driver (one at a time), disconnecting the device, restarting the computer without it, then shutting it down again, re-connecting the device, and then booting it back on?

Reason I recommend this is, when you re-connect the device and start the computer, Windows tries to install its driver afresh, which sometime resolves the issue.

If the solution doesn't help, please try right-clicking the device driver in the Device Manager snap-in, clicking Update driver, and following the on-screen instructions from there to update the driver.

Feel free to report back none of the solutions works for you, and you need further assistance in this.

Cheers!!

Jun 14, 2018

Yes i've tried both those solutions. would it be the reason its greyed out is because my mouse and keyboard doesnt support the "allow the computer to put this device to sleep" function? i dont know why else it would be greyed out. There was no driver update for the keyboard or mouse either. It's the old 2006 generic driver date from microsoft. i swear i've tried everything. thanks

TRENDING THREADS