Almost First Time Non-Gamer Build

rmbelson

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Hi, I’m looking for advice on what to use in my Desktop/Workstation. First build was 15-yrs ago and I remember nothing. Thanks in advance on helping configure a solid build.

Need a new PC because I want to have it running before current Win7 system bites the dust. Current box is noisy and sometimes lags, 6 years old. Note: PC will live in pretty dusty environment.

Cost - ~$600 after rebates if any, including Windows 10, shipping. Am based in USA.

Usage: Word Processing, Internet, Financial apps. Secondary HDD will store data and large library of music to stream to other computers on my home network. Some streaming of video from PC to my TV via Serviio. CD/DVD burning, Music/video editing, again simple. I sometimes convert from one file format to another in either music or vids, sometimes add subtitles to a vid and recode, etc.
Simple photo manipulation (cropping, resizing, nothing major).

APPS – MS Office, Adobe CS5 suite – realize not going to work easily in Win 10, will switch to open source apps. Foobar 2K, Calibre, Forte Agent, Quicken, Nero Burning ROM, MPC-HC X64, Serviio, Firefox and Chrome. Freemake video converter, Tag & Rename.

Goals:
1. Stability and longevity. My current PC is 6+ years old and I want to keep my new one a long time, so build needs to take future demands into consideration
2. Build for system on 24/7
3. Quiet well-built case – I use PC to play music through home 2-channel stereo receiver and large speakers. No bling, windows, lights, etc. Will sit on floor under my desk, not on top. Size not an issue.
4. Decent sound, can be onboard to save $ unless you tell me why not
5. Enough RAM to keep multiple browser tabs open or multi-task without probs
6. Need DVD-RW drive
7. Plenty of front USB ports (more than 2?)
8. Ease of build – want to make sure all my pieces are well matched to each other, no funky cable issues, bios problems, etc. Make it idiot-proof for me, as I remember nothing from previous build and won't know how to improvise.
9. Keeping my old monitor – 1920 X 1080 22"
10. Onboard vid probably OK unless you tell me why not
11. Want Intel not AMD
12. No overclocking
13. If it matters, running system through VPN, so browser speed sometimes an issue

Initial thoughts
1. I5-8500
2. 16GB RAM
3. 250GB SS Drive
4. 2TB HDD
5. Windows 10-Pro 64

Thanks again, RMB

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with those components.

Struggling for $600 though, you'll have to use windows 10 unregistered for the time being.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($178.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B360M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($65.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($152.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.99 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($13.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $610.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-28 12:10 EDT-0400

yeti_yeti

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017

Woah! I would never purchase anything from this website, or any key-reselling website at all. It is not 100% legal, besides that the buyer can easily be scammed and even if he gets what he pays for, the delivery can sometimes last weeks.

I can quote many reputable people who recommend that.
Please quote someone who is reputable and was scammed.

You can't I know you can't. You just believe that if you pay $100 for some software, it has to be that price.

I will be awaiting your references, if you can provide them....Prove they are a scam, because many people buy from them.

I can quote many reputable people who recommend that.
Please quote someone who is reputable and was scammed.

You can't I know you can't. You just believe that if you pay $100 for some software, it has to be that price.

yeti_yeti

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017

I dont want to get into an argument. The quotes you are willing to provide can be made up in a matter of seconds. The website looks extremely sketchy, I have no doubt, that some people did get what they paid for however, buying from original trusted seller is always the best bet. Keys that are purchased on these websites can often randomly expire, leaving the customer with invalid product (happens quite often to games purchased on G2A). I also dont see any point of buying a pirated windows copy. If you want to get Windows for free, you can just install unactivated copy off a thumb drive, it will work just like a activated one with some minor restrictions.

USAFRet

Titan
The site you listed is no different than all the other grey market scam sites.
Many, many people have bought there, and come here when their cheap license returns as 'Not Genuine'

Change your sentence just a little...
"You can buy 16GB RAM for about $15 from here..."
You'd obviously think that a scam. You'd run away laughing.

Licensed software is no different.

In any case, this is off topic for what the OP is wanting advice on, and we're not going to get into an argumenet about it.
You believe what you want, and we'll believe what we want.

Let's move on.

rmbelson

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Not sure Fractal case allows an optical drive. The BeQuiet case looks great, but I think I prefer USB and other controls on front not top as I tuck my case under my desk, and front is easier to access. Thanks very much, though, for your suggestions.

rmb

rmbelson

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Thanks, MadMatt. This only gives me a 1TB HDD and I think with growth over the next years, will need a 2TB drive. Why did you choose this motherboard? Just curious, thanks. Really appreciate your help for sure. I may have to bump my budget because I need OS. Just curious, would this system run on Windows 7?

The pro vd boards have lways been decent quality while being low priced.

Pretty much the only reason.

Only w ram slots but in all honesty 16gb ram is always going to be enough for the next 4 or 5 years at least so it doesn't matter imo.

Stuck to a 1tb drive just because of your initial $600 budget.

The n200 always has & always will be one of the best matx cases around , comes with 2 decent fans preinstalled , has great airflow ,it's cheap, can fit loads of drives internally etc.
If you don't need windows & bling (led,lights etc) it's a rock solid little number.

People have managed windows 7 on coffee lake , it's a real trial getting it installed though.

Stick to windows 10 , you can actually use it non registered with the smallest of nag boxes & a couple of non impacting restrictions.

rmbelson

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
Sounds reasonable to me, many thanks. I'll let you know what happens next. rmb