Question Almost moving to Windows 10 from 7, but I...

Josh B

Honorable
May 12, 2014
want to saving my pinned taskbar on Windows 7. Any way to backup my tons of taskbar pinned?

Look like this:

Ralston18

Titan
The following links should be helpful:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/backup-and-restore-your-pinned-taskbar-items-in-windows/

https://superuser.com/questions/58561/where-are-the-shortcuts-for-the-windows-7-taskbar-stored-on-disk

Google "how to save taskbar pins" for other similar links. There are links that involve registry editing - use only as a last resort and be sure to backup everything beforehand. Do not ignore the recommendations to do so.

Be sure to test first by copying the icons to another computer or other location if at all possible.

Idea being that you can verify that you have the correct icons and that you can freely move them about.

I will suggest adding some "test" icons to the task bar. See if you can find those icons and move them around.

Create other test icons elsewhere and move them back.

Reactions: Josh B

Josh B

Honorable
May 12, 2014
The following links should be helpful:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/backup-and-restore-your-pinned-taskbar-items-in-windows/

https://superuser.com/questions/58561/where-are-the-shortcuts-for-the-windows-7-taskbar-stored-on-disk

Google "how to save taskbar pins" for other similar links. There are links that involve registry editing - use only as a last resort and be sure to backup everything beforehand. Do not ignore the recommendations to do so.

Be sure to test first by copying the icons to another computer or other location if at all possible.

Idea being that you can verify that you have the correct icons and that you can freely move them about.

I will suggest adding some "test" icons to the task bar. See if you can find those icons and move them around.

Create other test icons elsewhere and move them back.
Problem is I have only one computer. Am I screw up?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I will not guarantee this, as it's been far too long since I did it, but my memory is that one's taskbar migrates right along into Windows 10.

You should, before ever thinking about doing the upgrade, make a full system image of your existing Windows 7 installation that you could restore from either because you want to or if something were to go horribly wrong with the upgrade. The latter has never happened to me, but it can happen, and your only way to a quick resolution where you don't have both a nervous breakdown and a heart attack is if you have a system image to restore from.

Editorial comment from myself: Why on earth would you want to have that many icons pinned to the taskbar to begin with? It hogs so much more of your screen. Also, see what you think of the Windows 10 Start Menu once you're using it. It is like a hybrid between the classic Start Menu and the Metro Screen, where the right side can have specific launch icons pinned and arranged, even within named groups, to your heart's content. I'd imagine you have a "core group" of what you show that you actually trigger frequently, but want quick access to the rest. The Windows 10 Start Menu, combined with the Taskbar, gives you the best of both worlds.

Ralston18

Titan
"Problem is I have only one computer. Am I screw up?"

No.

Having only one computer just makes it more difficult to test out solutions to the icon "problem".

And I am compelled to agree with @britechguy regarding all those icons.

Windows 10 is a move upward for most people. The move is also an opportunity (sometimes forced upon us) to move upward in how we work and do things. Neither is always easy.

Create images, backups, etc. for Windows 7 as suggested by @britechguy.

Then start with basic Windows 10. Modify, add, configure as necessary/required as you go forward.

Do not do too much too soon. If there is a problem you may not be able to determine what change caused the problem.

Very likely you may never miss having some of those icons....

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS