Mobo: X399 AORUS PRO (rev. 1.0)
CPU: Threadripper 1950x
Memory: 4x 16GB Corsair Vengenace LPX DDR4 2666MHZ
GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 Ti
PSU: 750W Gold EVGA
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 NVMe M.2 1TB
OS: Win10 Pro Power settings is set to high preformance

So here is my problem:

I am running multiple instances of diablo 2 with this computer, Around 150 instances (50% CPU Load) it gets extremely sluggish and programs start to crash and PC is nearly unusable.

but

If I run something like Prime95 the computer works fine even at 100% CPU Load, no sluggish responses no crashes, just a great working computer

I have ran multple passes with memtest86 and they all passed as well.

Any ideas what can be causing this issue?

Solution
I would think that 32GB RAM would not be nearly enough for 150 instances of anything more resource intensive than notepad.
Could those 150 instances be stepping on each other? That software was probably not designed to cooperate with multiple copies on the same host.
Are you running each in a separate VM?
Mar 24, 2019
Yep, 150 instances of an older game not optimized to operate like you are running it. Nearly any rig would struggle with this.
what causes it to stuggle and how can i optimize it? my previous pc which i built in 2013 could run about 100 instances without any issues.
amd fx 3520 cpu IIRC

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Could be any number of factors (other apps running at same time, memory, OS differences, on and on). Unless 2 systems are identical, you can't directly compare. Also, don't believe everything claimed, especially on YT.

How does the system perform on standard benchmarking apps? Does it seem to perform as expected, compared to similar systems? If so, then carry on.

If not, that can be explored.

kanewolf

Titan
I would think that 32GB RAM would not be nearly enough for 150 instances of anything more resource intensive than notepad.
Could those 150 instances be stepping on each other? That software was probably not designed to cooperate with multiple copies on the same host.

Solution

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013

AFAIK from my WoW days, I suspect the OP is a botter and he is LF advice on running his bot farm. Never played Diablo so not sure if you can sell gold there, but OP's ways seem to suggest it's possible.

<<Off topic content removed by moderator>>.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 24, 2019
Could be any number of factors (other apps running at same time, memory, OS differences, on and on). Unless 2 systems are identical, you can't directly compare. Also, don't believe everything claimed, especially on YT.

How does the system perform on standard benchmarking apps? Does it seem to perform as expected, compared to similar systems? If so, then carry on.

If not, that can be explored.
well i ran prime95 and memtest and uhh crystaldiskmark and all seemed good to go. also ran cinebench20 and it scored a 5xxx which looks good.
What did YT say about this build? you lost me there.

Idk i dont want to just carry on, this seems to be an issue to me. I really dont understand how older and lesser computers have ran more without issues.

You think they did but they didn't.
they did. ran it myself ty.
AFAIK from my WoW days, I suspect the OP is a botter and he is LF advice on running his bot farm. Never played Diablo so not sure if you can sell gold there, but OP's ways seem to suggest it's possible.

<<Off topic content removed by moderator>>.
i dont see why your posting just to be jelly.
they are not in separate vm's would this help?
its 64gb of ram, ram usage is around 30-40% when running all 150.
what do you mean stepping on each other?

<<Off topic content removed by moderator>> i created a pvpgn realm and these are used for testing.

Last edited by a moderator: