Almost YASD

The image says it all:

http://www.treefrogcreations.com/images/angband_AYASD.jpg

Playing NPP. My rogue bumps into Azog on dlevel 24. I have an nice
ranged attack with a short bow of power +20 and a decent melee (a
rapier of elements which if I recall was giving me 4 attacks at the
time).

I nail Azog with arrows a few times but he hits back with seeker arrows
that HURT. I phase around a bit, healing as necessary until he's
finally nearing death. I'm really trimming off his HP as he advances
one last time, so I decide not to phase away as he enters melee range.
I figure I can finish him off. He fires a seeker arrow from melee
range. Ouch. But he's down to one asterix, so my next attack will kill
him. And my HP aren't really THAT low, yet. And what are the odds that
he'll fire yet another arrow instead of a melee attack?

I was wrong on all counts. He survives my attack and fires another
seeker arrow for his next move, reducing my HP as shown. I kicked
myself over that one. I teleport away next, of course, heal up and
track him down for the finishing blow.

But it was all too close. I was playing too recklessly, as usual. :(

The little hobbit rogue is currently at dlevel 41 and plevel 41, but
still has occassional nightmares about Azog.

The RNG was merciful. Blessed be the Name of the RNG.

--
John Goulden

On 2005-03-29 19:44:05, "John D. Goulden" <jgoulden_news@goulden.org> wrote:

> The RNG was merciful. Blessed be the Name of the RNG.
>
> --
> John Goulden

Hehe damn that made me laugh out loud.

--