[SOLVED] Alot of Boot Issues Leading to No POST.

Jan 31, 2021
So this has been a rollercoaster for me. Any help would be appreciated. This was all on a fully working system, specs:
AsusX99A-ii
i7 6950x
64gb corsair RGB 3200mhz
750w psu
Rtx 2080Super
M.2 boot drive
Let me run through it for you step by step.

1. Win update fails overnight - windows boot manager missing from BIOS

2. Manage to randomly boot into windows after a few resets - run DISM, SFC and rebuild bcd etc

3. Windows boot manager restored to BIOS, but boots into system recovery loop (fixed in windows with one of the MMC snap ins)

4. Boots into windows but gives the BSOD "machine check exception" on the first power cycle. Second power on boots fine and runs fine.

5. Disabled fast boot in BIOS and problems solved. PC is running great, starts up everytime no blue screens or crashes

6. Around a week later PC abruptly powers off, no "shut down" screen etc. While watching netflix.

7. While trying to turn on the PC it powers on, fans spin, no LEDs light up and powers down after about 3 seconds. mobo shoots out the errors 44,53 and 23?

8. Errors point to RAM being the issue so I reseat all RAM first with no luck. Then one stick of RAM at a time in all slots. Nothing changes from step 7

9. Test RAM in another PC and it works fine. Decide to remove the CMOS battery and replace it after about 10 mins (power unplugged).

10. Reseat the RAM and power on, Fans spin up, RGBs light up, HDD spins up but no display. Mobo only giving the error code 00 and a red cpu LED on the board is lit up.

Thank you for reading this far, I'm unsure where to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Solution
Alright here's what I've tried: (in sequence)

1. Pressed reset button on board while powered on.
  2. Pressed memOK button powered on
  3. Shorted the clrtc jumpers on mobo to reset cmos settings. (manual says the pc will fail to boot if the jumper is not covered in default position, but I never had a cover for it)
  4. Disable ezXMP switch on mobo (default)
  5. Reset the Cpu Overvolt jumper to default position (disabled)
  6. Removed RAM and tried one stick of ram from my other pc which I know is working, in all slots.
  7. Tried with CPU fan unplugged. (Which if I remember correctly causes a beep or no start up)
  8. Tried with no GPU, SATA devices or M.2
  9. Reflashed BIOS with same usb from earlier. Powers on for .5 seconds and restarts...
So this has been a rollercoaster for me. Any help would be appreciated. This was all on a fully working system, specs:
AsusX99A-ii
i7 6950x
64gb corsair RGB 3200mhz
750w psu
Rtx 2080Super
M.2 boot drive
Let me run through it for you step by step.

1. Win update fails overnight - windows boot manager missing from BIOS

2. Manage to randomly boot into windows after a few resets - run DISM, SFC and rebuild bcd etc

3. Windows boot manager restored to BIOS, but boots into system recovery loop (fixed in windows with one of the MMC snap ins)

4. Boots into windows but gives the BSOD "machine check exception" on the first power cycle. Second power on boots fine and runs fine.

5. Disabled fast boot in BIOS and problems solved. PC is running great, starts up everytime no blue screens or crashes

6. Around a week later PC abruptly powers off, no "shut down" screen etc. While watching netflix.

7. While trying to turn on the PC it powers on, fans spin, no LEDs light up and powers down after about 3 seconds. mobo shoots out the errors 44,53 and 23?

8. Errors point to RAM being the issue so I reseat all RAM first with no luck. Then one stick of RAM at a time in all slots. Nothing changes from step 7

9. Test RAM in another PC and it works fine. Decide to remove the CMOS battery and replace it after about 10 mins (power unplugged).

10. Reseat the RAM and power on, Fans spin up, RGBs light up, HDD spins up but no display. Mobo only giving the error code 00 and a red cpu LED on the board is lit up.

Thank you for reading this far, I'm unsure where to go from here. Any advice would be appreciated.
Error 00 indicates can't even get past first inistitail post dead cpu or mobo/corrupted bios

Jan 31, 2021
Thanks for the reply
The mobo doesnt natively support this CPU but the BIOS flashback doesnt seem to be working. I think the best way forward is to buy a cheap older cpu for the board and test if I get the same error? Then I could write off the mobo. Hopefully it's the board that died and not CPU

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How are you trying to do the bios update? Via bios software or usb? On my older Asus board there was only 1 rear usb port setup to do the bios update, non of the others would do it. Think I also had to use the rename tool to get it to work right.

You only need version 0222 to get that cpu recognised, which may or may not have been native by the time you bought the board.

Jan 31, 2021
USB flash. I got the zip from the asus website, it only contains a CAP file (no renaming tool) and it's on a fat32 drive. When I try to flash it, the light blinks 3 times (apparently a good thing) and then stays solid which means it hasn't worked. I waited around 15 mins with the light solid blue and there was no change. If it is already supported I still cant narrow down which part is faulty without having a good one for reference right?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What exactly is the bios file? I had to use the Asus bios renamer tool to rename my bios. Yours is supposed to be renamed to X99A2.CAP and my board has a specific USB2 port in the rear that has a green ring around it.

Every post I've read on failing bios flashbacks with multiple blips then solid light is because of failure to do 1 of those steps. You must use the tool, can't simply rename the file. Your board is listed as requiring rename.

Jan 31, 2021
You must use the tool, can't simply rename the file. Your board is listed as requiring rename.

This is probably my mistake, I downloaded the bios file from here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-A-II/HelpDesk_Download/

But since the zip didnt contain the tool I just renamed it in windows, (to x99a2.cap) I saw the Brenamer download so I'm assuming that's it.

I'll give it a go when I get home, thank you for taking the time to research.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No worries. The renamer tool also renames any relevant data inside the CAP file, which is why a simple external rename doesn't work. Honestly I think it's a failing on Asus part, they could just as easily have run the CAP file through the renamer Before posting them for public release, which would make things far simpler on the consumer end of things.

Jan 31, 2021
So the BIOS flash worked after using the rename tool, however it didn't solve the problem, still getting error 00.
It powered on for about half a second on first boot after flash and shut down immediately
Think I'll either have to get a working cpu to test the board or vice versa.
Was really hoping to just be a bios issue though

Jan 31, 2021
Dont think the mobo has a LN2 switch but I'll check the manual.
I hit the button you're referencing between step 8-9. (In the manual it just says it's a button to restart your PC, so I omitted it from the steps)
come to think of it, after I used that button it started with the 00 error.
It's the button next to the mobo power button with a green LED?

Jan 31, 2021
Will try it at home later, I'm not very hopeful given the events leading up to this point. But honestly I just want to confirm the CPU is working or not.

All my local tech stores don't have any working x99 systems to check it in. Is there a way to guarantee it works without spending on a "new" mobo or do I have to bite the bullet?

I'd rather just sell it at this point (while it still holds some value) and move to a more modern platform.

But obviously fixing the issue is the best outcome.

Jan 31, 2021
Reading the manual there's a few things I think I should try, will have to do it on Thursday when I have more time.

And I meant, to confirm the CPU works in some way before selling (without buying a new mobo). I wouldn't sell it without knowing first.

Again thanks for your help and I'll update when I've gone through a few things.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021

3. Shorted the clrtc jumpers on mobo to reset cmos settings. (manual says the pc will fail to boot if the jumper is not covered in default position, but I never had a cover for it)
  6. Removed RAM and tried one stick of ram from my other pc which I know is working, in all slots.
  7. Tried with CPU fan unplugged. (Which if I remember correctly causes a beep or no start up)
  9. Reflashed BIOS with same usb from earlier. Powers on for .5 seconds and restarts (Caught the error on first boot is 00)
  10. Reseat the CPU and checked for bent pins. (2 minor bent pins, fixed with plastic toothpick) again it was working before so I'm not sure how or when they got bent or if it had any effect.

All gives no result, error 00 on board and red CPU led.

Have yet to try the PSU from my other system, I'm just feeling too lazy to yank it out and re manage all the cables and stuff.

Still, thinking now it's a dead board? Surely it would spit out some other code or a beep?

Just have to get a new board to check I think

9. Reflashed BIOS with same usb from earlier. Powers on for .5 seconds and restarts (Caught the error on first boot is 00)
  10. Reseat the CPU and checked for bent pins. (2 minor bent pins, fixed with plastic toothpick) again it was working before so I'm not sure how or when they got bent or if it had any effect.

Have yet to try the PSU from my other system, I'm just feeling too lazy to yank it out and re manage all the cables and stuff.

Still, thinking now it's a dead board? Surely it would spit out some other code or a beep?

Like i said in my previous post with you board saddly wrror code 00 isn't technically used it only shows if the board fails to get to it intial boot cycle. I.e. if it cpu/ or the board has faild you have two possibilitys saddly and i would honestly have to ask what you would think it would be more likely to be....

Like i said in my previous post with you board saddly wrror code 00 isn't technically used it only shows if the board fails to get to it intial boot cycle. I.e. if it cpu/ or the board has faild you have two possibilitys saddly and i would honestly have to ask what you would think it would be more likely to be....
To be fair based off the post i just read about your board it's more like the board then the cpu. Most people with you board that experince a dead cpu still get a boot screen saying no cpu detected. I guess so this board apprently has intital boot cycle with or without a cpu so it should read post for you you just wont be able to get to bios or anything it should literally display to a screen right away saying no cpu detected

Solution
Jan 31, 2021
Alright, thanks for your replies. I think it's the board, also had alot of overclocking problems and XMP settings problems. As well as boot issues for a while with it. (Not the first time this has happened but the first time I've gotten error 00)

Ordered a new PSU, mine is kinda old by now so maybe a contributing factor? needed a new one anyway. It makes electrical cracking sounds being plugged in or switched on.

Still hesitant to buy another mobo. X99 is EOL so it's pretty hard to find a fully working one by now.

Gonna keep trying to just find somewhere to test the CPU and sell it off I think.

Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate it.

Alright, thanks for your replies. I think it's the board, also had alot of overclocking problems and XMP settings problems. As well as boot issues for a while with it. (Not the first time this has happened but the first time I've gotten error 00)

Ordered a new PSU, mine is kinda old by now so maybe a contributing factor? needed a new one anyway. It makes electrical cracking sounds being plugged in or switched on.

Still hesitant to buy another mobo. X99 is EOL so it's pretty hard to find a fully working one by now.

Gonna keep trying to just find somewhere to test the CPU and sell it off I think.

Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate it.
If you take the cpu to basically any local computer shop and ask if they can test it for you i bet they will have no problem with that. Even with it be outdatted and all most shops will still have a test platform for older hardware that is broght in just to be safe.

TRENDING THREADS