Review Alphacool Eisbaer Pro Aurora 360 Review: Expandable Excellence

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Maybe it's me, but does the 'fill port' being directly on top of the CPU make anyone else a wee bit nervous?

Happily admit I've not done any water cooling, but I assumed filling would happen at the reservoir and/or that the reservoir wouldn't sit directly on the CPU.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I've watercooled for 19+ years and the reality is that care and patience should always be the utmost priority. If coolant drips or spills, it isn't the end of the world, clean up the spill and ensure that components are 100% dried before ever attempting to turn a system on. Using canned air, paper towels, cotton swabs and even hair dryers and fans help out. I would avoid excessive heat like from ovens or things of that nature.

You could technically submerge your entire PC in water and as long as it dries completely before power is switched on, you should not see any issue. I've had people tell me their computer had been rained on (window left open) and it was shot. Let it dry out over several days, monitor and system were each fine once water was gone.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I've watercooled for 19+ years and the reality is that care and patience should always be the utmost priority. If coolant drips or spills, it isn't the end of the world, clean up the spill and ensure that components are 100% dried before ever attempting to turn a system on. Using canned air, paper towels, cotton swabs and even hair dryers and fans help out. I would avoid excessive heat like from ovens or things of that nature.

You could technically submerge your entire PC in water and as long as it dries completely before power is switched on, you should not see any issue. I've had people tell me their computer had been rained on (window left open) and it was shot. Let it dry out over several days, monitor and system were each fine once water was gone.
Appreciate the reply! I think my brain was thinking you'd be 'topping up' but now that seems like not the most common use case.

I also now imagine that rather than filling the system with it 'installed', you'd fill this prior to installation of the cpu/heatsink/reservoir? I guess the movements involved in installation aren't enough to dislodge the tubing (with or without this systems 'dripless' concept).

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Correct, just taking it out of the box and installing it does not require fluid addition or filling. This would only be when expanding the system with additional components and you'd need to top off the system to allow the loop to be as full as possible with coolant. When it comes to liquid cooling PC components, you certainly do not want the pumps to run dry or be low on coolant as this can cause permanent damage.